In 1887 St. John's Episcopal Church was located on Grove Street (now Martin Luther King) between 7th and 8th Streets, Oakland, California. Rev. Benjamin Akerly was the rector, and he resided on the corner of Adeline and 16th Streets. Twice daily services were held at 11:00 a.m. and 7:30 p.m., along with Sunday school at 9:30 a.m.
Rev. Edward F. Gee was the rector circa 1904-1907.
Links and References
- Oakland Public Library, Oakland History Room and Maps Division
- Image(s) used by permission of the UC Berkeley, Bancroft Library
- Father Akerly Laid to Rest San Francisco Call August 27, 1897