|4300 Auburn Blvd in Suite 201|
|Dr. Cass Capel|
Save Ourselves is a place dedicated to the betterment of people affected directly and indirectly by breast cancer. Because most of the people working with the organization are either survivors or are currently enduring breast cancer, anyone who walks through their doors will walk into a network of excellent and exceptional people.
In a speech, Dr. Cass Capel, founder of Save Ourselves, discussed the importance of one’s physical, mental, and spiritual health while going through breast cancer. She stated, "I never give up hope, and I never say no."
According to their website, Save Ourselves (SOS) is committed to:
- empowering people by promoting breast health awareness through support and educational activities,
- encouraging those with breast cancer to be well informed about their disease,
- being active and assertive participants in all decisions about their treatment,
- providing emotional support from others who have been in their shoes, while
- exploring how to build richer, more meaningful lives after treatment of this life-changing disease.
Save Ourselves offers:
- A telephone hotline staffed 24/7 with professionally trained peer counselors.
- Professionally led support groups held in Sacramento as well as outlying areas supporting individuals in all stages of treatment in English and Spanish
- Educational events for the community teaching about breast health awareness, preventive life style practices, and self breast exams. These programs can be made available to schools, churches, businesses and other community organizations.
- Breast Cancer Lingerie Closet- donated gently used lingerie items
According to their website, when you give to Save Ourselves, your donation will enhance the lives of women and men as they travel along their breast cancer journey. You can be a part of their survival. Whether they choose to participate in one of our many support groups, or fulfill their pressing need to talk to a fellow survivor on our 24/7 hotline, it is because of people like you that Save Ourselves is here for them. Serving the people of Sacramento is why Save Ourselves exists: so that no one has to go through breast cancer alone.
According to their website, your time is invaluable to Save Ourselves. Volunteering for the various events and projects they participate in is a fulfilling way to give to their organization. Please e-mail Keri Allen, the Volunteer Coordinator, if interested: [email protected].
- This report was written for Cynthia Linville’s English 1A class at CSU Sacramento Fall 2011.