The Kenwood Depot , originally called "South Los Guilicos" was established in 1888 and was once a working train station for both the Northwestern Pacific and the Southern Pacific railroads until 1947.

The building was constructed using stone masonry in the neo-Romanesque style of the 19th century architect Henry Hobson Richardson - builder of Boston's Trinity Church. It is described being rustically-hewn with a hip-roof on top of a gray and pink basalt foundation. It is now a Sonoma County historic landmark.

"The Kenwood Depot was built as a union station, with doors for baggage and passengers on both sides of the building, in the event the Donahue Line from Novato on the Petaluma River might continue on from Glen Ellen to Santa Rosa, but it never did. The archways can be seen, now leading to rest-rooms and kitchen."1.

The Depot is owned, managed and maintained by the Kenwood Community Club, which was used for period for weddings and private parties. Call 707-833-5190 for more information.

See Also

This entry is a seed, a starting point for writing a full entry. You can help LocalWiki by expanding it! Just click the "Edit" button.