This Page forms part of the overall Zebra-Project

By clicking on the following Link a list of all Zebra-Project tabbed pages will be displayed.

Johann Gottfried LUBASCH

1st wife Caroline WOLF  -  2nd wife Anna Dorothea GREISER

 

 The articles on Johann Gottfried LUBASCH are divided into 4 distinct parts:

Part 1  -  His life, marriages, families, in-laws,  his daughters were shearers & his involvement in the Battle of Waterloo, 1815.

Part 2  -  The daughters, their marriages [McFARLAN, LIEBELT, JAENSCH, THIELE, LIEBELT, PAECH], their lives.

Part 3  -  Maria Elisabeth LUBASCH the beneficiary of her father's will, contested 1857 in the Supreme Court by 3 brothers in law

Part 4  - Their land, home, barn & property dealings including tracing all Certificate of Titles for Section 3812, Hd Kuitpo, from 1844-1990.

 

The above Parts include photographs and images from the John MUELLER Photograhic Collection, unless indicated otherwise.

Refer to multiple articles related to section 3812, Hd Kuitpo.

Return to the Index of:   articles related to section 3812

 

 

this is not it

State Heritage Places SHR 13134, SCHACH House, 1 Main St, Hahndorf.  'This building probably dates to c1850 & was constructed by J.G. SCHACH, an early  resident of Hahndorf.  The building significance is its architecture, being an example of early half-timbering with pug infill.' in 1854 Gottfried LUBASCH sold this block to J.G. SCHACH.'Pge 46: Hans Heysen painting ‘At Friedrichstadt, near Hahndorf 1897-98’. 

See Art Gallery of SA

‘This SA pioneer German house represents the best of SA Germanness with its steep roof, Krüppel Walm (half-hipped roof), use of attic and Fachwerk (half-timbered) construction.  It is typical of symmetrical ‘Frederick the Great’ houses used by the Emperor during his vast, 18c expansion schemes, east of the River Oder.  Also known as the Flur Küchen Haus (passage kitchen house), the centralised passage ran from the front door to the back, and was always centred between the two chimneys stacks.

 

This is identified as ‘Paechtown House Number 3.  It stand on the large, 13 section tract of land originally purchased by J.F. Paech (senior) in 1846, and named by him ‘Friedrichstadt’ most probably after the Emperor.  Friedrichstadt incorporates the more recently named Paechtown, a settlement of four substandial half-timbered houses plus barns, which was settled by another Paech family soon after Friedrichstadt was founded.

Pge 60:

See Brandenburg house call ‘Giebel Lauben Haus’, Gabled Shelter House.

Photo taken in Kuschten, now Kosieczyn.

 

Pstricia Sumerling: Heritage of the City of Adelaide, an illustrated guide (with S Marsden & P Stark).

 .....................................................

 

Pge 52:

Look up Family history of Dolling family near Windmill Hill .

 

Summary 

This article will provide evidence that the Certificate of Title 16/15, [regarding a small portion of Section 3812] of 2 acres & 3 perches describes the address 59 Auricht Rd, Hahndorf.

Authors summary:   

  • 1844 Section 3812 Hd Kuitpo purchased by Gottlieb LUBASCH.
  • 1844-1855 Section 3812 farmed by LUBASCH & he & his family lived on this property.
  • LUBASCH may have encouraged his daughter to come out from Prussia & live with him on his property.
  • 1855 His eldest daughter & her family arrive from Prussia and he provides them land to build a house on in Section 3812, which becomes 59 Auricht Rd, Hahndorf. 
  • 1855 a small house was constructed by Gottlieb WEITH & his father in law Gottlieb LUBASCH at 59 Auricht Rd, Hahndorf.
  • 1856 LUBASCH dies while living on Section 3812. 
  • LUBASCH provides in his will for 2 acres & 3 perches to be left to his eldest daughter to continue living on her property,  59 Auricht Rd, Hahndorf, within Section 3812.
  • The Heritage Surveys of 2004 & 2007 describing the ownership of 59 Auricht Rd, Hahndorf, are incorrect.  
  • This house was never the home of Gottfried LUBASCH.
  • Johanna Louise LUBASCH & Gottlieb WIETH established this home from 1855  'The father-in-law assisted to build his house.  It was only a one room slab hut.'  
  • While 59 Auricht Rd, Hahndorf very basic to begin with, LUBASCH & husband WIETH had 26 years living there before Gottfried died in 1881.  
  • They only had one son [Oswald Gottlieb Edmund WIETH] & he lived at 59 Auricht Rd, Hahndorf at least until he married in 1883.

 

Family names mentioned in this article:

BANKS, BURGEMEISTER, DOWNER, FAEHRMANN, FLEMING, GETHING, GREISER, GOMMERS, GREGORY, GRELL, JEANSCH, HENNINGSEN, KELTON, KUCHEL, LIEBELT, LUBASCH, MACFARLAN, MANGELSDORF, McDOUGALL, NITSCHKE, PAECH, SCHACH, SLAPE, STRENZ, THIELE, Von DOUSSA, WALLACE, WEATHERALD, WIETH, WITTWER, 

 

Table of Contents: 

1.    Authors Note

                                      2.    1844 G. LUBASCH  Section 3812 52 acres Hd Kuitpo

  • SAILIS 1844 CT 16/15

  • 1844 Genealogy of G LUBASCH   

  • 2004 Mt Barker Heritage Survey 59 Auricht Rd, Hahndorf.

  • 2007 Heritage Places, 59 Auricht Rd, Hahndorf

  • 1855  eldest daughter arrives with family from Prussia, married to Gottlieb WIETH​​

  • 1856  Gottfried LUBASCH died & his Will.

  • 1860 October 9, eldest daughter receives Certificate of Title 16/15, 2 acres & 3 perches.

3.   1849 Section 4222 81 acres, 1851 Section 4230 15 acres Hd Onkaparinga

4.    1855: eldest daughter arrives from Prussia [hsb Gottlieb WIETH & 3 children]

                                        5.    1856:  G. LUBASCH assist distribution after he dies, 5 October.

 

1.     Authors Note:

LUBASCH was granted & could afford 104 pounds for a Special Purchase in 1844, in exchange for 52 acres.  Look closely at the First Special Survey map of.... and you will see his Section 3812 included on the SE corner of 'German Village'.

 

 

 

 

2.    1844 17 June, Section 3812, 52 acres.

The first purchase of sections by Gottfried LUBASCH was acknowledged by Alan WITTWER in 'Pioneers of Hahndorf 1839': 'Section 3812 [52 acres] purchased by Gottfried LUBASCH as a Special Purchase on 17 June 1844 for 104 pound'  

& as early as 1845 in the The Royal South Australian Almanack and general directory for 1845, page 158 [image 162 on the right], 'Sale of Crown Lands, Particulars of Land Sales': Lot 754, 52 acres, near Hahndorf [sic] Gottfried LUBASCH, 52 [pounds]'

 

 

 

1st Section purchased SAILIS  CT 16/15 

1844 SAILIS CT Vol 16 Folio 15,  Hd Kuitpo 1844 SAILIS CT Vol 16 Folio 15, Hd Kuitpo 1844 SAILIS CT Vol 16 Folio 15, Hd Kuitpo

Hd Kuitpo'Which said section is delineated in the Public Map of the said Hundred deposited in the office of the Surveyor General and was originally granted the seventeenth day of June 1844 under the hand and seal of George Grey Esquire Governor and Resident Commissioner of the said Province to Gottfried LUBASCH'

1844 SAILIS CT Vol 16 Folio 15.

 

 

 

1844 June 17, Genealogy of G LUBASCH

  • Gottfried had been in the colony [arrived 1839 'Zebra'} for 5 years & 6 months with his 2nd wife, Anna Dorothea GREISER, & 5 daughters [1 from first marriage]

  • Gottfried  LUBASCH was 54 years of age & his 2nd wife Anna Dorothea GREISER, 45 years of age, his eldest daughter from 1st wife, in S.A. was 23 years old [& had been married for 5 years with 3 children] & their youngest child was 9 years of age.

  • The eldest daughter from his first marriage, Johanne Louise LUBASCH was 22 years of age, living in Prussia with her husband  of 4 years

    • Johann Gottlieb WIETH 30 years of age, and they had no children.

  • By 1843 he was running a 'respectable inn'.  [ Dunn Memoirs Mt Barker Courier 10 December 1886]

 

3.    1849  1 October, Section 4222, 81 acres & 1851 12 April Section 4230, 15 acres

2nd & 3rd Sections purchased SAILIS  CT 107/212 

SAILIS 1849 & 1851 Vol 107 Folio 212 Section 4222 & 4230 Hd Onkaparinga.

'..The Office of the Surveyor General and were originally granted as to the said section 3812 on the seventeenth day of June 1844 under the hand and seal of George Grey Esquire Resident Commissioner and Governor of the said Province and to the said sections 4222 on the first day of October 1849 and 4230 on the twelfth day of April 1851 under the hand and seal of Sir Henry Edward Fox Young Lieutenant Governor of the said Province ALL to Gottfried LUBASCH.'
SAILIS 1849 & 1851 Vol 107 Folio 212 Section 4222 & 4230 Hd Onkaparinga.

 

4.  Where did Gottfried LUBASCH & Anna Dorothea GREISER live after they purchased their first farming section, in 1844?

2004 Mt Barker Heritage Survey, 59 Auricht Rd, Hahndorf

  • Reference:  'LUBASCH house, kitchen, bake-oven & wisteria. Place no 304.'

    D.C. Mt Barker Heritage Survey [2004] - part 3, Auricht Rd, Hahndorf, Lot 11, Section 3812, Hd Kuitpo. CT 5139/921. [Now CT 4355/895, 4170/432, 4119/5]  '​3 associated buildings constructed of local rubble stone [part rendered] with corrugated iron gable roofs [front building hipped at one end], timber framed openings with timber doors & timber-framed casement windows, corralled bake-oven with smokehouse, and red-brick chimneys. It is associated with a notable local personality...namely Sergent [sic] LUBASCH, Hahndorf's earliest policeman.  Also early wisteria plant....being reputedly the oldest wisteria plan in South Australia. 

​One of the oldest surviving buildings in the town is actually located outside of the original subdivision, on Section 3812.  This land was purchased by Sergent [sic] LUBASCH on 17 June 1844, and soon afterwards he constructed a house with separate kitchen, and smokehouse with bake-oven. The property was later owned by Bill FAEHRMANN, prominent local builder who constructed the Anglican Church in 1886.  FAEHRMANN made some additions to the house on Auricht Road, including a brick building [now demolished].  Adjacent to the former kitchen, there is a wisteria plant which is believed to be the oldest in the State [Hignett].

2007 Heritage Places, Heritage Number 18497

59 Auricht Rd, Hahndorf, Hd Kuitpo'59 Auricht Rd, Hahndorf, Accuracy-high level confidence, Fr LUBASCH House, kitchen, bake-oven & wisteria' 

Three associated separate buildings constructed of local rubble stone [part rendered' with cgi gable roofs [front building hipped at one end] timber-framed openings with timber doors & timber-framed casement windows, corbelled bake-oven with smokehouse, and red-brick chimneys.  Also, early wisteria plant.

 

 

 

 

Now 2023:    This allotment as discussed above is now numbered 59 Auricht Rd, Hahndorf, & this survey indicates that this is the pioneer home of Gottfried LUBASCH, his 2nd wife Anna Dorothea GREISER & their unmarried children, including possibly Johanna Dorothea Louisa before she married in February 1845, Johanna Caroline before she married in September 1847, Johanna Dorothea before she married in 1853 & the home of Maria Elizabeth until her marriage after her father died in 1859.  Gottfried LUBASCH died in October 1856 so would have only lived here for 10-11 years.

59 Auricht Rd, Hahndorf.

Genealogy:

Supposing this Heritage Survey to be accurate then 'soon afterwards he constructed a house with separate kitchen' occurred in say 1844/45 who was living in this home?

  • 2 daughter [1st wife] Johanne Eleonore Henriette LUBASCH m Johann Wilhelm THIELE in 1839c, & they had 4 of their 11 children already, : "they lived at Grünthal until 1880's when they moved into Hahndorf" [LIEBELT family history pge 166].

Janis look up State Heritage branch file 3673 & National Trust of SA file 2438  A college in the Wattles

 

1855:  eldest daughter arrives with family from Prussia, & husband Gottlieb WIETH.

The eldest daughter of Gottfried LUBASCH & his first wife was Johanne Louise LUBASCH 1820-1899, who remained in Prussia after her father and his family left on the 'Zebra' in 1838 was Johanna  Louise LUBASCH who married in 1840 to Johann Gottlieb WIETH and they came out to South Australia in September 1855 on the 'La Rochelle'. With them were 3 children and they had another two children in South Australia. This 'eldest daughter ' had not seen her father for 17 years and she arrived the year before he died.

Newspaper reporting during two trials [1857 & 1865] involving the Will of Gottfried LUBASCH, reported that :

'Johann Gottlieb WEITH [the plaintiff], mason lived at Hahndorf, and married Louisa LUBASCH in 1840" also  "Johann Gottlieb WEITH of Hahndorf, bricklayer" & "Came into the colony in 1855, and was married in 1840.  The father-in-law assisted to build his house.  It was only a one room slab hut.'

 

1856:  Gottfried LUBASCH died, & who did he leave his land to?

During the publicly reported challenge to the Will of Gottfried LUBASCH [by 3 of his son's in law, JAENSCH, THIELE & LIEBELT] a declaration of his assets at the time of his death was revealed by his 2nd wife as well as witnesses describing how LUBASCH wished to distribute his estate.

  • 'Another provision he stated was that the eldest daughter should have a certain cottage and land.' 
  • 'There were 5 daughters of deceased, who lived at distances of from half a mile to two miles away from him. '
  • 'Mrs THIELE, Mrs LIEBELT, and Mrs MACFARLANE lived two miles away, and Mrs JEANSCH (sic) and Mrs WHIETH (sic) much nearer.''
  • The eldest were to have two acres of land and some houses, and the youngest daughter was to have the farm. '  
  • 'The money was to be paid by the daughter who took the farm.'
  • Anna Dorothea GREISER, LUBASCH's wife: 
    • 'She was not aware that LUBASCH had two or three small sections.''
    • At the time her husband died, he had an 80 acre section and a block of 15 acres. He also had an interest in the German Arms public - house, and 300 pound out on mortgage. ''
    • here was a debt of 80 pound for which they had no acknowledgement.''
    • Therefore only two or three pounds in the house at the time of death.  She had a box which was locked, but there was no money in it.'
    '
  • LIEBELT, her son in law, had none of her money but another man by that name had borrowed of her husband 50 pound, for which there was no acknowledgment taken.'
    • 'His name was Gottlieb LIEBELT who was in the Court.'
    • Authors Note: The only man who this description fits is her daughter, Johanna Karoline's husband Johann Gottlieb LIEBELT, now aged 33 years.  
  • By the Attorney-General - The married daughters  very seldom called at their father's house, except Mrs THIELE, who called on the Saturday previous to the death 'none' of them called for several weeks. 
  • Mrs WIETH to receive:    'LUBASCH replied that he had five daughters; and that he wished Maria Elizabeth to have 100 pound of the 300 pound; also, that his daughter, Mrs WIETH, should have the two acres of land and the house standing thereon. '  

Authors summary:   

  • 80 acre section, beside the land on which they lived.  

    • This indicates that on his death in 1856  LUBASCH & family were living on Section 3812, not in Hahndorf Main Street.

    • '80 acre section' refers to Section 4222 Hd Onkaparinga, purchased 1849.

  • Also a piece of land adjoining the 80 acre section, about 15 acres,

    • '15 acres' refers to Section 4230 Hd Onkaparinga, purchased 1851.

  • An interest in the German public-house

  • 200-300 pound out at interest.  

  • There was 2 or 3 pound in the house when her husband died.  

  • LUBASCH’s eldest daughter Johanna Louise LUBASCH to receives 'two acres of land and the house standing thereon' & she '

  • should also have a certain cottage & land, two acres on which she dwells'. LUBASCH's youngest daughter, Maria Elizabeth LUBASCH, 'to have the farm', & when she married [in 1859 to Gottfried LIEBELT] 'her husband should take charge of the farm and pay out of it 900 pound.

  •  Maria Elizabeth LUBASCH was to inherit Section 4222, 4230 & 3812, except for the 2 acres where her older sister was living & could continue to live.

 

Gottlieb WIETH, having arrived in South Australia almost exactly a year before LUBASCH died, was not a participant in the trial of 1857 when his 3 other brothers in law questioned the Will of Gottfried LIEBELT.  Unbeknown to all he had apparently entered into an agreement & later a written agreement with the youngest daughter Maria Elizabeth, to not be involved in the trial if she paid him a certain amount of money. This is where WIETH alone took Maria Elizabeth LUBASCH to court in 1865 because he had not been paid.

  • Received no money from his deceased father in law, but he built a house for him. It was a one roomed slab hut.  
  • After the trial in the Supreme Court had taken place she expressed her pleasure that the present plaintiff had not joined in the proceedings, and she accordingly ratified her promise by signing an agreement, of which the following is a translation:- 
    • Adelaide, June 24, 1857, - 'It is agreed between Miss Maria Elizabeth LUBASCH of Hahndorf, and Johann Gottlieb WEITH of Hahndorf, bricklayer, that Miss Maria Elizabeth LUBASCH, in case she gets into possession of all the estate left by her deceased father Gottfried LUBASCH, as provided for by his [LUBASCH'S] will, shall pay to J.G. WEITH the sum of 150 pound sterling, Christmas 1857.  If  M.E.LUBASCH cannot pay the money in 1857 Christmas, then she shall certain play the money to J.G. WEITH at Christmas 1858, and pay to him interest at 8 per cent, yearly. Witness the signature- G.DOLLING, M.E.LUBASCH, Gottlieb WEITH.'

'2 acres of land & the house standing thereon' settled to the eldest daughter Johanna Louise LUBASCH.

1860 9 October SAILIS CT 16/15  portion of section 3812

Hd KuitpoSAILIS 1860 Vol 16 Folio 15  2 acres 3 perches

First Johanna Louise & Gottlieb WIETH advertised frequently & consecutively in the local newspaper the identical information:

The South Australian Advertiser [Adelaide, SA:1858-1889] Monday 23 July 1860, page 1, Public Notices. 'Hundred of Kuitpo-Part Section 3812; Gottlieb and Johana [sic]  Louise WIETH; Residence, Hahndorf. Date up to and inclusive of which caveat may be lodges against the above-described land, September 12, 1860.'

 

 

 

 

SAILIS 1860 Vol 16 Folio 15  2 acres 3 perches

'9 October 1860: ​Gottlieb WIETH of Hahndorf Farmer and Johanna Louise his wife are now seised in right of the said Johanna Louise the wife of an estate in fee simple subject nevertheless to such encumbrances liens and interests as are notified by memorandum endorsed hereon in that piece of land situated in the Hundred of Kuitpo County of Adelaide being part of the section numbered 3812 in the said Hundred and bounded s appears in the plan in the margin hereof and therein coloured green which said piece of land contains two acres and three perches or thereabouts and is more particularly delineated in the said plan....'

Genealogy of LUBASCH/WIETH family:

          Following this land title will reveal the location of their home.

           From 1860-1881 the WIETH family continued to live in the house on the 2 acres of land at ?59 Auricht Rd, Hahndorf.

                            In 1860 the children were:  Caroline Henriette was 16 years of age & married [Gottfried MANGELSDORF] in 1864

                                                                               Johanne Pauline was 11 years of age & married [Georg Robert STRENZ] in 1866      

                                                                               August Bertha Marie was born in 1854 & died in 1856

                                                                                     

 Only son Oswald Gottlieb Edmund was born in South Australia in 1857& was 3 years old in 1860 & married [MarieJulia LEUNIG] in 1883.

Auguste Martha the youngest child was born in December 1860 & married in 1882.

1881.    

  • Johann Gottfried WIETH died 21 years later in 1881 at 69 years of age.
  • 'Johann Gottlieb died on September 27, 1881, and was the last person to be buried in the cemetery of St. Paul's Lutheran Church, Hahndorf.' LIEBELT family history page 166.
    • Possibly as they had not married by 1881 when their father died, the 2 youngest children were still living at home at 24 & 21 years of age.
  • From  [1881-1888] Johanne Louise LUBASCH continued to live in her home ? 59 Auricht Road, Hahndorf.
  • In October 1882 their  youngest daughter Auguste Martha WIETH married Johann Friedrich Wilhelm FAHRMANN.
    • Presumably 25 year old J.F.W. FAHRMANN moved into his wife's home  on 59 Auricht Rd, & by 1888 had 4 children.
    • 1 month after the birth [15 August 1888] of their 4th child Carl Albrecht FAEHRMANN.... Johanne Louise LUBASCH aged 68 years, was admitted to Adelaide Lunatic Asylum [25 September 1888 ] and was discharged on 15 October 1890 .

1899.  Johanne Louise LUBASCH was then again, admitted to the Parkside Lunatic Asylum on 13 October 1890 [sic] and died there 10 years later in May 1899

    • aged 79 years, & she had survived her husband. Gottlieb WIETH 18 years.
      • 'Johanne Louise died at her daughter's residence at Parkside on May 16, 1899, and was buried in the Hahndorf Cemetery.'  LIEBELT family history page 166.
      • 'WIETH, Johanna Louise, admitted 25 Sept 1888, discharged 15 October 1890 aged 69.'  Adelaide Lunatic Asylum.  SAGHS data base 'Hospital, Asylum & Lying-in Home Admissions'.
      • 'WIETH, Johanna Louisa, admitted 13 [sic] October 1890, discharged 16 May 1899, aged 71 years, outcome-Died.'  Parkside Lunatic Asylum. SAGHS data base 'Hospital, Asylum & Lying-in Home Admissions'.
      • The Express and Telegraph [Adelaide, SA:1867-1922], page 2, Family Notices, "WIETH,- On the 18 May, at Parkside, Johanne WIETH, relict of the late Gottlieb WIETH, of Hahndorf, aged 79 years.  A colonist over 40 years."
      • The Advertiser [Adelaide, SA:1889-1931 16 May 1900, page 4 Family Notices as well as The Express & Telegraph [Adelaide, SA:1867-1922]  16 May 1900 page2 Family Notices. and the Chronicle [Adelaide, SA:1895-1954] 19 May 1900, page 10 Family Notices:  "WIETH- in loving memory of Johanne Louise WIETH, died May 16 1899.  Weird of life's long journey. Of battles with pain and strife; Gone from his world of sorrow To a home of eternal life. - Inserted by her loving daughter, Martha"   Also: "WIETH - In loving memory of my dear grandmother, Johanna Louise WIETH, who died at Parkside, on May 16, 1899. Lord, all-pitying. Jesu blest. Grant her, God, her eternal rest. - Inserted by her loving granddaughter, Hermine Henschke, Ellen St, Prospect.

1899.   Certificate of Title transferred to her daughter 'Martha FAEHRMANN'.

SAILIS 1860 Vol 16 Folio 15  2 acres 3 perches

Genealogy:  In 1899 when she inherited this property of 2 acres, Martha WIETH was 39 years of age & had 7 of her 8 children.

Her husband F.W. FAERHMANN was 42 years of age, they had been married for 17 years. 

In October 1907 they celebrated their 25th wedding anniversary. Chronicle [Adelaide, SA:1895-1954] 26 October 1907, page 33 Family Notices: Silver Wedding, FAEHRMANN-WIETH - On the 19th October, 1882, at the St Paul Church, Hahndorf by the Re , L KUSS, Johann Friedrich Wilhelm FAEHRMANN to Martha Auguste WIETH, both of Hahndorf.

In 1899 their children:  Clarence Oswald FAEHRMANN known as 'Ossie' was 16 years old, married [Veronica GRELL] in 1908

                                           Johann Friedrich Wilhelm FAEHRMANN was 15 years old, known as 'Bill' & never married.                                    

                                           Marie Hermine Hilda FAEHRMANN was 13 years old, married [Hugh McDOUGALL] in 1912.

                                           Carl Albrecht FAEHRMANN known as 'Pup' was 11 years old, married [Margaret FLEMING] in 1913.

    Gertrude Johanne FAEHRMANN was 9 years old, married [Edwin KELTON] in 1911.

    Martha Eleonore FAEHRMANN was 8 years old, married [Robert SLAPE] in 1911.

    Adelheit Louise FAEHRMANN was 6 years old, married [James GOMMERS] in 1915.

    Herbert Berthold FAEHRMANN was not born until 1902 & married [Vera GREGORY] in 1923.

1927   25 November Martha Auguste WIETH dies aged 66 years, she wrote her will on 26 June 1923 & left the house & 2 acres of land to her unmarried son, Johann Friedrich Wilhelm FAEHRMANN then aged, 39 years at the time of making her will.

1935   11 September JFW FAEHRMANN her husband dies aged 78 years.

1936   14 February land & house at 59 Auricht Rd, Hahndorf is transferred to JFW FAEHRMANN b1884, [named after his father] & Bill is now 52 years of age.

1962   1 August, 4 portions of the land are transferred to '​Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth the Second'.

1971   25 May Transferred to 'Gordon William Dedlef FAEHRMANN of Paechtown Road, plasterer and Jessie May FAEHRMANN.' [married Gordon FAEHRMANN]

 Gordon William Dedlef FAEHRMANN

  • is the nephew of his Uncle 'Bill' & he married Jessie May WALLACE & had 5 children 1936-1953.
  •   was the son of Oswald Friedrich FAEHRMANN [the brother of 'Bill'] & Veronica GRELL.                                                                                                                                            
  •  was the grandson of Martha WIETH & Johann Friedrich Wilhelm FAEHRMANN & the great grandson of Johanne Louise LUBASCH & Johann Gottlieb WEITH.

1974    'Bill' FAEHRMANN dies.

1975 14 July  Gordon William Dedlef FAEHRMANN died aged 65 years.

1977:    The property is sold It has been in the family from LUBASCH & GREISER in 1844-1977  for 133 years.

 

Completion of the Certificate of Title 16/15, regarding 2 acres & 3 perches at 59 Auricht Rd, Hahndorf.

Authors summary:   

  • 1844 Section 3812 purchased by Gottlieb LUBASCH in 1844
  • 1844-1855 Section 3812 farmed by LUBASCH & he & his family live on this property.
  • LUBASCH may have encouraged his daughter to come out from Prussia & live with him on his property.
  • 1855 His eldest daughter & her family arrive from Prussia and he provides them land to build a house on in Section 3812, which becomes 59 Auricht Rd, Hahndorf. 
  • 1855 a small house was constructed by Gottlieb WEITH & his father in law Gottlieb LUBASCH at 59 Auricht Rd, Hahndorf.
  • 1856 LUBASCH dies & provides in his will for 2 acres & 3 perches to be left to his eldest daughter to continue living on her property, within Section 3812.
  • The Heritage Surveys of describing 59 Auricht Rd Hahndorf, are incorrect, it was never the home of Gottfried LUBASCH.
  • Johanna Louise LUBASCH & Gottlieb WIETH established this home from 1855 where it was very basic to begin with and he lived until 1881, 26 years.  
  • They only had one son & he lived at home at least until he married in 1883.

Completion of the Certificate of Title 16/15, regarding 2 acres & 3 perches at 59 Auricht Rd, Hahndorf.

 

 

1903  16 January beginning of exploring ownership of 1 acre portion of Section 3812  CT 699/62

SAILIS 1903 CT Vol 699 Folio 62SAILIS 1903 CT Vol 699 Folio 62

See below for photographs of the house on the property No 1 Main St, Hahndorf.

Gottfried LUBASCH purchased Section 3812 in 1844, at some stage he must have sold this 1 acre corner parcel of land. It has previously been said by historian Alan WITTWER in 'Hahn's Village' & also in State Heritage Places SHR 13134, 'SCHACH House',  that in 1854 LUBASCH sold this block to J.G. SCHACH in 1854, but I have not found evidence of this yet, however in this CT says:

 1903, 16 January "George BANKS the elder of Millbrook, Gentleman, is the proprietor of portion of Section 3812, Hd Kuitpo, 1 acre."

1909, 5 May. 'Transferred from George Banks the elder to Gottfried Alfred KUCHEL labourer of Hahndorf

 

SAILIS 1903 CT Vol 699 Folio 62    1967 5 December, 'Gottfried Alfred KUCHEL died'.     Executor of his will was Louise Alfred KUCHEL of 1 Main St, Hahndorf, Hospital. Handyman.   

   1968  4 June 'Transferred to Rose Theresa Irene KUCHEL, widow, of 1 Main St, Hahndorf, an estate of freehold for her life, and to the 'within named Louis Alfred KUCHEL of an estate in fee simple in remainder expectant upon the determination of the said  life estate in the within land.'

   1975  3 October  'Rose Theresa Irene KUCHEL died'.    

  1993.  15 April.  Transferred to 'Louis Alfred KUCHEL & Gwenda Margaret KUCHEL, both of 1 Main St, Hahndorf.'

'  

 

 

Genealogy of KUCHEL & HENNINGSEN family

      • see https://localwiki.org/adelaide-hills/Johann_Gottlieb Kuchel_part2 for the KUCHEL & HENNINGSEN family history.
      • Gottfried Alfred KUCHEL, was known as ‘Fred’, 5 Sept 1879 – 5 Dec 1967, 88 years
      • He was 5th child of Johanna Louise LIEBELT 1848-1940 & Johann Gottlieb KUCHEL 1846-1923
        • His grandparents are KUCHEL & KUCHEL & LUBASCH & LIEBELT 
      • At 30 years of age, on 19 January 1910 he married, 21-year-old Rose Therese Irene HENNINGSEN 28 Sept 1888-3 October 1975, 87 years.
        • Rose was the 8th child of Catharine PAULSEN & Marcus HENNINGSEN
          • They had 7 children.
        • Gottfried Alfred KUCHEL bought this land in 1909, the year before he married Rose HENNINGSEN.
        • They lived there after marriage for almost 60 years, until 1967 & 1975. In 1967 their  eldest child was by then 40 years of age.


HENNINGSEN Family History page'Rose & Fred made their home in Main Street, Hahndorf near the home of Rose's sister Camilla. A house, built in the timber frame with infill style, on one acre of land was purchased.  The land was part of a section originally granted to Fred's great grand father Gottfried LUBASCH.  the house was built in about 1854 by J.G. SCHACH, an uncle of Fred's employer.  Mrs von DOUSSA loaned Fred money to purchase the home.  Vegetables were grown, an extensive rose garden planted, a cow or two were kept.  Later Fred worked at Forest Range cutting timber.  Following this he worked at Childs Brickyard at Littlehampton.  In later years he undertook various jobs, including timber cutting.'

    •  

 

  • When both Gottfried & Rose had died the property at 1 Main St Hahndorf, was left to their 5th child Louis Alfred KUCHEL
    • Louis Alfred KUCHEL b1921 married  Gwenda Margaret BURGEMEISTER b1932.  
    • Louis Alfred KUCHEL's  mother died when he was 54 years of age, perhaps they cared for her at No 1 Main St, Hahndorf.
    • Louis Alfred KUCHEL died in 1992

Portion of Section 3812, The house built on this triangular 1 acre property was at No 1 Main Street, Hahndorf, often called the 'KUCHEL house' & it was opposite St Paul’s Lutheran Church, Hahndorf, below are two descriptions provided by State Heritage & local historian Alan WITTWER.

https://localwiki.org/adelaide-hills/Schach_Cottage_-_Hahndorf

Hahn's Village

by EA WITTWER 1979.

Hahn's Village, by E.A. WITTWER 1979.

'In 1854, J.G. SCHACH an engineer by trade, purchased an acre of land from Gottfried LUBASCH, Hahndorf's pioneer hotelier turned farmer.  Here Schach erected a cottage of half-timbered construction using, it is said, timber cut from the land. A stone addition was made to the northern end a few years later. The appearance of the cottage changed quite dramatically when the exterior was plastered over as a means of protection from the weather. A verandah was added, the original bake-oven removed and the shingle roof covered with galvanised iron. In recent times further additions have been made to the northern end.

A contemporary described the cottage as being charming with two Cloth of Gold roses on either side of the gate. They were sturdy trees more than twelve feet high'. These were removed--much to the disgust of some residents only to be replaced by many standard roses. The building has always been used as a private residence. Schach's workshop was also situated on the block but has long since disappeared.'

 

State Heritage Places SHR 13134.State Heritage Places SHR 13134, SCHACH House, 1 Main St, Hahndorf.  'This building probably dates to c1850 & was constructed by J.G. SCHACH, an early  resident of Hahndorf.  The building significance is its architecture, being an example of early half-timbering with pug infill.'

 

 

 

 

 

REFERENCE:??? The cottage was of half-timbered construction probably using timber cut from the land.  A stone addition was made to the northern end a few years later.  The appearance of the cottage changed quite dramatically when the exterior was plastered over as a means of protection from the weather.  A verandah was added, the original bake-oven removed and the shingle roof covered with galvanised iron.  In recent times further additions have been made to the northern end. .... The building has always been used as a private residence.  Schach's workshop was also situated on the block but has long since disappeared. 

Completion of the Certificate of Title 699/62, regarding 1 acre at 1 Main Street, Hahndorf.

 

 

 

Mount Barker Heritage Survey 2004, Part 3 page 379,  Place No 405.

Mt Barker Heritage Survey 2004, page 378

Mt Barker Survey 2004, References page 379'Not only is the town of Hahndorf an exceptional exemplar of German culture & construction methods, but there are also several smaller settlements, farm complexes and individual buildings which retain a strong heritage. One of these is the former Lubasch farm at the Beerenberg farm. The former Lubasch barn is one of the earliest buildings in the Hahndorf area, and the associated later Lubasch house also has significant associations with the development of the farm, and with the Lubasch family. The farm was established by pioneer Gottfried Lubasch in the 1840s. Lubasch made a Special Purchase of the 52-acre section 3812 on 17 June 1844 at a cost of £104. He constructed a large German barn on his land soon afterwards, and this formed the focus of his farm for many decades. The current stone house was constructed in c1885.

 

EXTRA INFORMATION NOT SORTED

    • 17 June 1844 LUBASCH, 104 pound ... the current stone house was constructed in 1885
    • See CoT info below
    • 52 acres for 52 pounds sterling ???
    • 1854 LUBASCH sells northern triangle, 1 acre to J.G. SCHACH, for 8 pound.
    • 1860 WIETH Gottlieb & Johanne Louise WIETH, part Section 3812 H Kuitpo  No 23 C   XVI 15  = 16/15
    • SAILIS LUBASCH CoT, not in 1858-1863, 1863-1868, 1868-1873, 873-1878, 1878-1881

 

  •  

Year 1844  -  LUBASCH purchased Section 3812, 52 acres, on 17 June 1844 for 104 pound,     “...... the current stone house was constructed in 1885...”

 

 

1867  Exploring ownership of the 49 acre, main portion of Section 3812, CT 107/212 [as well as Sections 4222 & 4230]

SAILIS CT Vol`107. Folio 212SAILIS CT Vol 107. Folio 212

Genealogy:  Gottfried LUBASCH's youngest daughter, Maria Elizabeth LUBASCH was unmarried when it was confirmed by the court in 1856, that she would inherited the family farm, from her father's WILL..

1857  from April - September Maria's  3 brothers in law took her to court to contest her father's Will.

1865 saw a 4th brother in law took her to court and she won that decision as well.  Maria LUBASCH married for the 1st time in 1859 to Johann Gottlieb LIEBELT.  

1864, Maria's mother Anna Dorothea GREISER died in October.

1866. 1st husband died aged 29 years, leaving Maria with 3 daughters aged 5, 3 & 3 months of age. 1867 Maria remarried to Johann Wilhelm PAECH a widower, who had 2 small children and they together had another 4 children b1868, 1870, 1872 & 1876.

It seems from the date on this Certificate of Title, 29 November 1867, that it took 11 years for her to receive the CT related to the inheritance of her parents farm land.  The drawings on the right show Section 3812 without the 1 acre section [possibly sold to J.G. SCHACH as Georg BANKS did not buy it until 1903]  & without the 2 acres that went as per the instructions from their father's Will to her eldest sister Johanna Louise and her husband Gottfried WIETH and that land was settled in 1860.

Certificate of Title 107/212 says:  'Maria Elizabeth LIEBELT of Hahndorf, Widow is now seised of an estate in fee simple .... those Sections of land situated in the County of Adelaide. That is to say First in those Sections No 4222 in the Hundred of Onkaparinga containing eighty one acres ...and 4230 containing 15 acres and Second in that Section No 3812 in the Hundred of Kuitpo containing 52 acres ...Except out of this Certificate of Title a piece of land containing three acres or thereabouts portion of the said section 3812 and coloured green in the said plan....'

SAILIS CT Vol`107. Folio 212

cont., 1875 June 22  'The above named Maria Elizabeth LIEBELT or Marie Elisabeth LIEBELT was married to Johann Wilhelm PAECH of near Mount Barker farmer on the 10 day October 1867 at Hahndorf as appears by the Certificate of Marriage [No56876] produced to me and entered the 22 day June 1875.'

cont., 1875 Maria Elizabeth LUBASCH sells Section 4222 & Section 4230 to NITSCHKE's.   November 22. 'Transfer No 56877 from Maria Elizabeth PAECH wife of Johann Wilhelm PAECH to Johann Carl NITSCHKE of the above Sections 4222 and 4230. Produced the 22 day June 1875 at 2pm.  A new Certificate of Title issues for Sect 4222 and 4230 Vol CCV111 [208] Folio 231.'   This new title [208/231 not displayed here] shows that this land was transferred to Johann Gustav Ewald NITSCHKE of Little Hampton, farmer on a date that is obscured.  This man died 9 February 1928 and the land was transferred in 1933 from Emilie Hulda NITSCHKE & Richard SCHROEDER to Benno Edwin NITSCHKE & Oscar Walter NITSCHKE both of Ambleside, farmers.  To continue to follow this land see 'The new Certificate of Title Vol 2612 Folio 200'. 

Genealogy NITSCHKE:  In 1875  Johann Carl NITSCHKE had been married to Annie Elizabeth SEIDEL since 1853 and they had had 12 of their 14 children. Carl had been on the 'Zebra' as a ten year old while Maria LUBASCH had been only 3 years old. Karl was the son of Maria Elisabeth Marcia SÜSS &  Wilhelm NITSCHKE & they had left the village of Kay [now Kije in Poland] which was less than 10 kms from the village of Rissen [now Rosin in Poland] where the LUBASCH's came from. Johann Gustav Ewald NITSCHKE who received this land on a date unknown was the 10th child of Carl & Elizabeth.  Emilie Hulda NITSCHKE is Johann Gustav Ewald NITSCHKE's wife and from there the land was transferred to two sons born in 1909 & 1912.

cont., 1875 Section 3812 is for Maria Elizabeth PAECH's sole & separate use.  June 24. ​'Transfer No 56916 from Maria Elizabeth PAECH wife of Johann Wilhelm PAECH to Maria Elizabeth PAECH wife of Johann Wilhelm PAECH of the above Section 3812 for her sole and separate use produced 24 day June 1875. A new Certificate of Title issued for Sec 3812 Vol CCV111 Folio 232'.  See immediately below new CT Vol 208 Folio 232.

cont., 1875 exploration ownership of main portion Section 3812, SAILIS CT Vol 208 Folio 232 as mentioned above.

SAILIS CT Vol 208. Folio 232SAILIS CT Vol`208. Folio 232

1875 June 30 All of Section 3812 except for the piece colored yellow belongs to: 'Maria Elizabeth PAECH wife of Johann Wilhelm PAECH of Mount Barker, Farmer is now seised of an estate in fee simple for her separate use subject nevertheless, to such encumbrances, liens, and interests as are  notified by memorial underwritten or endorsed hereon in that Section of land situated in the Hundred of Kuitpo County of Adelaide No 3812 containing fifty two acres or thereabouts and bounded as appears in the plan in the margin EXCEPT not in Certificate of Title a piece of land containing three acres or thereabouts and coloured yellow in the said plan and being all that portion of the said section which lies to the north ......'

1877 Mortgaged from Maria LUBASCH to Gottlob PAECH:  'Mortgage No 70393 from Maria Elizabeth PAECH to Gottlob PAECH notified the 10 day January 1877 at 3pm'

1881 February Maria LUBASCH sells Sect 3812 to J Christian PAECH  'Transfer No 121673 from Maria Elizabeth PAECH to Johann Christian PAECH of near Hahndorf, Farmer of the above land 12 February 1881'.

1882 March Discharge of Mortgage from Maria LUBASCH to Gottlob PAECH 

  • 'Discharge of the above Mortgage No 70393 by receipt endorsed thereon dated 8 day March 882, entered 16 day March 1882 at 11am.'

1882   Johann Christian PAECH sells to Robert GETHING.  

  • 'Transfer from Johann Christian PAECH to Robert GETHING of the within land subject to a right of way produced 9th day August 1882 entered 21 day August 1882 at 3pm.'

  • 'New Certificate of Title Vol 399 Folio 137P.C. PAECH retains the R of W CT 399/137'.   See immediately below Vol [CCCXC1X] 399 Folio 137.

cont., 1882 following the remaining 49 acres of Section 3812 with Vol 399 Folio 137

SAILIS CT Vol 399 Folio 137

SAILIS CT Vol 399 Folio 137Robert GETHING purchases Section 3812.  'Robert GETHING of Port Adelaide Doctor of Medicine is now .... Hundred of Kuitpo, County of Adelaide portion of the Section 3812, 49 acres.....subject to a free and uninterrupted right of roadway or passage for Johann Christian PAECH of near Hahndorf, Farmer, his heirs executors administrators or assigns through across over and along a strip of land of the width of fifty links as delineated in the said plan and therein marked private road.... 2 September 1882.'

1883 Robert GETHING dies

SAILIS CT Vol 399 Folio 1371884 'Jane Trevanion GETHING of Port Adelaide, Widow is seised of an estate in fee simple as the ....executor of the will ....Robert GETHING dated 17 day July 1866 who died on 21 day October 1883 as appears by probate dated 2 November 1883, produced the 1`day 1884 at 11 am'.

1907 Jane GETHING transfers to Martha Auguste FAEHRMANN  'From Jane Trevanion GETHING to Martha Auguste FAEHRMANN of portion of the within land Produced for registration 28 day of February 1907 at 3pm.  New Certificate of Title Vol 761 Folio 56.'    See further below for Vol 761 Folio 56.

SAILIS CT Vol 399 Folio 1371908  Jane Trevanion GETHING dies.  'Alexander George DOWNER of Adelaide, Solicitor proprietor of an estate..... of the remaining portions of land as executor named in the will dated 28 November 1905... who died 15 March 1908... '

1909 transfer from Jane GETHING to George WEATHERALD. 'Transfer from Alexander George DOWNER to George WEATHERALD [of Hahndorf] of the remaining portion of the within land 21 day of April 1909.  New Certificate of Title Vol 810 Folio 60.'  See immediately below Vol 810 Folio 60

 

 

Cont., from above - following the remaining 46 acres of Section 3812, SAILIS CT Vol 810 Folio 60

1882 SAILIS CT Vol 810 Folio 601882 SAILIS CT Vol 810 Folio 60 1909 8 July George WEATHERALD purchases the remaining 46 acres of Section 3812. There were originally 52 acres on this CT. 'George WEATHERALD of Hahndorf Dealer is the proprietor of an estate in fee simple... situated in the Hundred of Kuitpo, County of Adelaide, being Portion of Section 3812, contains 46 acres ... subject nevertheless to such rights of way shave been granted over the Private Road more particularly delineated in the said plan.'

'1927 15 December 'The Road adjoining portion of the within land on the south has been closed Vide confirmation of Road Order in Gazette of 15 December 1927.

1882 SAILIS CT Vol 810 Folio 60

 

1929 27 April  George WEATHERALD tränsfers land to 'James Henry PROSSER & Albert Harold PROSSER both of Adelaide, Builders .... Tenants in Common.'

1931 29 January James & Albert PROSSER transfer land to 'Henry REHN of Ambleside, Farmer.'

​1931 29 January Henry REHN transfers portion of the within land to 'Ellen GAVIN. New Certificate of Title Vol 1590 Folio 22.' See immediately below.

 

cont,. from above:  1931  continuing the exploration of main portion Section 3812, SAILIS CT Vol 1590 Folio 22

<font size="3">'</font>1931 SAILIS CT Vol 1590 Folio 221931 SAILIS CT Vol 1590 Folio 22

1931 Ellen GAVIN 'Proprietor of an estate in fee simple.... Hundred of Kuitpo, County of Adelaide being Portion of Section 3812 which said piece of land contains sixteen acres ... delineated in the said plan. See New Certificate of Title Vol 3770 Folio 96'.

1953  24 August 'Transfer from Henry FOUNTAIN to Thomas John ADAMS of Hahndorf Farmer and Agnes Sylvia ADAMS his wife.'

1961 4 January 'Transfer to Stanley Lewis HOFFMANN of Oakbank Farmer and Eileen Eleanore HOFFMANN his wife.'

The last transaction on this CT is a transfer to the HOFFMANN family.  The 'Beerenberg Barn' was also referred to by some locals as the 'HOFFMANN barn'.

 

............................................................................................................

1907  4 April, Continuing the exploration of main portion Section 3812, SAILIS CT Vol 761 Folio 56

 

1907 April 4, Purchases 3 acres, a Portion of Section 3812, SAILIS  CT Vol 761 Folio 56.

1907 SAILIS CT Vol 761 Folio 561907 SAILIS CT Vol 761 Folio 561907 April 4 Martha FAEHRMANN buys a portion of Section 3812, 3 acres: 'Martha Auguste FAEHRMANN wife of Johann Friedrich Wilhelm FAEHRMANN of Hahndorf, Carrier is seised of an estate....situated in the Hundred of Kuitpo, County of Adelaide, being portion of Section 3812, three acres or thereabouts....'   The measurements of this block of land is 442 x 608 x 442 x 839 and it extends from Auricht Rd to the Hahndorf main road.

17 years later Martha FAEHRMANN transfers this land to her grandson.

1924 August 11 'Transfer from Martha Auguste FAEHRMANN to Oswald Edmund WIETH portion of the within land, new Certificate of Title Vol 1344 Folio 171 & balance of Certificate of Title Vol 1344 Folio 172.' See immediately below Vol 810 Folio 60

 

Genealogy:  In 1907

  • Martha Auguste WEITH is 47 years of age and her youngest child is 5 years of age.  

  • Her husband Johann Friedrich Wilhelm FAEHRMANN about to turn 50 years of age

  • Their eldest child is 24 years of age and married the next year.

           17 years later in 1924

  • Martha  Auguste WEITH is 63 years of age
  • The land is transferred to her brother
  • her brother Oswald Edmund WIETH [Registered at birth in 1857 as 'Oswald Gottlieb Edmund WIETH']  who is 67 years of age 
  • Oswald has been married for 41 years and they [Marie Julia LEUNIG] have had 6 children.

 

1924  19 September 1 rood & 15 perches a small Portion of Section 3812, SAILIS  CT Vol 1344 Folio 171, known as 69 Auricht Rd, Hahndorf.

1924 SAILIS CT Vol 1344 Folio 1711924 SAILIS CT Vol 1344 Folio 171     1924  19 September transferred from his sister a tiny portion of Section 3812 'Oswald Edmund WIETH of Ambleside, Bookmaker is the proprietor of an estate in fee simple ....situated in the Hundred of Kuitpo, County of Adelaide being a Portion of Section 3812.... said piece of land contains one rood & fifteen perches'.  The measurements being 200 x 200 x 250 x 125.

1928  23 October Oswald Edmund WIETH dies. 

1931 10 February. 'Transfer to Roy Henry WIETH Traveller and Herbert Edmund WIETH labourer both of Ambleside... as Tenants in Common'. 

1924 SAILIS CT Vol 1344 Folio 1711924 SAILIS CT Vol 1344 Folio 171

1934 25 June 'Transfer from Herbert Edmund WIETH to Ellen Anis May WIETH wife of the within named Roy Henry WIETH of Ambleside, Traveller of an estate in fee simple of one undivided moiety in the within land.

1934 26 September 'Transfer from Roy Henry WIETH and Ellen Anis May WIETH to Gordon William Dedlef FAEHRMANN of Ambleside, plasterer of an estate in fee simple.'

1978. 22 December 'Transfer to Jessie May FAEHRMANN.  New Certificate of Title Vol 4147 Folio 250.'  See immediately below.

 

 

Cont,. from above:  1924  19 September Continuing the exploration of 1 rood & 15 perches a small Portion of Section 3812, SAILIS  CT Vol 4147 Folio 250, known as 69 Auricht Rd, Hahndorf.

 

  1979 SAILIS CT Vol 4147 Folio 250

1979 27 August.  'Jessie May FAEHRMANN of 69 Auricht Road, Hahndorf, Widow is the proprietor of an estate in fee simple.... Allotment 4 of portion of Section 903.'

1990 7 May.  '​Transferred to Ralph Vincent PALSEY & Carole Anne PALSEY both of 69 Auricht Rd, Hahndorf.'

      

 

 

 

 

 

1839 the LUBASCH family  -  Gottfried 49 years and his second wife Anna Dorothea GREISER 41 years, newly arrived from the 'Zebra' with their own 4 daughters aged 13, 11, 5 and 3 years and  accompanied by an older half sister, 16 years, were provided with house land [see ‘Original Allotments Sections 4002. 4003, 4004] close to the middle of the village as it stretched out along the main thoroughfare, number 80 Main Street Hahndorf.   The eldest daughter from the first marriage stayed in Prussia until a year before her father died in 1856 & an infant daughter was thought to have died, perhaps on arrival in the Gulf,

Reg BUTLER  researched and recorded in the ‘Hahndorf Data Base’, the farming land that all the pioneers were allocated in 1839. Like everyone the LUBASCH's received land which was carefully divided up amongst the pioneers by H.F. KOOK [also a passenger on the ‘Zebra] so that each could have equal access to water and soil types including  the three streams coming through the village. [Kook,  Kavel's people page 164 + Zebra]

Alfred MILLER married Alma HAEBICH in 1899, they built the house and attached store at No 80-82 which was previously the ‘Four Square Store’ & now is ‘The FruChoc Shop’.  Annie LUUR FOX

In 1968, the Education Department purchased the rear of this Sub-Lot to extend the grounds of the Hahndorf Primary School.

3567/89 current title

 

5.   Initial Land Purchases

5.1  1839 home & land allocation Hahndorf.

Land allocation maps Hahndorf

Map of Hahndorf Section 4002, 4003, 4004

This map illustrates the 3 creeks passing through Hahndorf.  

Hahndorf Survey Volume 1, page 121

Hahndorf Heritage Survey Vol 1 and Vol 2 -

by G. Young, I. Harmstorf, A. Marsden, L. Brasse (1981)
            Volume 1         Volume 2

Original Plan of Hahndorf on Northern Side of the Main Street 1839.

Red boundary indicates the farming and seed plots of the LUBASCH family. The larger red boundary indicating their home block at 80 Main Rd.

    

 

 

 

  • Section 3812 Hd Kuitpo

     

    Section 3812

     was not part of the first special survey of 4,000 acres divided up into fifty, 80 acre sections

  • 17 June 1844 LUBASCH, 104 pound ... the current stone house was constructed in 1885
    • See CoT info below
    • 1854 LUBASCH sells northern triangle, 1 acre to J.G. SCHACH, for 8 pound.
  • OURNAL OF THE HISTORICAL SOCIETY OF SA

    Number 41, 2013

    Dr Peter Monteath

  •  

    157/3 Sec 7044 Eastern Sources of Torrens

    276/4 Sec 3812 Near Hahndorf

    281/21 Sec 4222 Hd Onkaparinga Adelaide

    124/55 Sec 4230 Hd Onkaparinga, Adelaide

    66/68 Part Sec 3812 near Hahndorf Adelaide

    277/73 Lots in Hahndorf

    342/107 Sec 7044 Special Survey Eastern Sources of the Torrens

    Pge 46: Hans Heysen painting ‘At Friedrichstadt, near Hahndorf 1897-98’. 

    See Art Gallery of SA

    ‘This SA pioneer German house represents the best of SA Germanness with its steep roof, Krüppel Walm (half-hipped roof), use of attic and Fachwerk (half-timbered) construction.  It is typical of symmetrical ‘Frederick the Great’ houses used by the Emperor during his vast, 18c expansion schemes, east of the River Oder.  Also known as the Flur Küchen Haus (passage kitchen house), the centralised passage ran from the front door to the back, and was always centred between the two chimneys stacks.

     

    This is identified as ‘Paechtown House Number 3.  It stand on the large, 13 section tract of land originally purchased by J.F. Paech (senior) in 1846, and named by him ‘Friedrichstadt’ most probably after the Emperor.  Friedrichstadt incorporates the more recently named Paechtown, a settlement of four substandial half-timbered houses plus barns, which was settled by another Paech family soon after Friedrichstadt was founded.

     

    Pge 60:
  • See Brandenburg house call ‘Giebel Lauben Haus’, Gabled Shelter House.

    Photo taken in Kuschten, now Kosieczyn.

     

    Pstricia Sumerling: Heritage of the City of Adelaide, an illustrated guide (with S Marsden & P Stark).

  •  

    Pge 52:

    Look up Family history of Dolling family near Windmill Hill .

     

    Pge 56:

    This looks like a Faehrmann building?

    Also seen in Hahndorf Survey Vol 1, pge 207.

    Pge 57:

    Who built the Liebelt 1 house? Is it still there.  Which Liebelt owned it?

    Pge 58:

    FANTASTIC joints 

     

     

    Hi Janis

What an exciting heritage you have and your endeavors retracing the pioneer's journey  all tied up with a European bicycle tour - all sounds fantastic.

I had interviewed 'Ossie' Faehrmann  who lived in the house-now demolished next to St Paul's in 1975 when he told me of the Fridrichstadt and Paechtown 'Fachwerk' buildings his great grandfather built.

My subsequent research suggests that he and his sons built many important  buildings in and around Hahndorf. The Beerenberg barn is just one example of many. I believe these buildings are of international importance because they represent the best collection of its genre - not just within Australia but also outside Europe. I believe that Carl was one of many carpenters in the Australian context that built these half timbered structures  - but Carls were  without doubt the most substantive and artistic.

His Tangermuende friend and fellow 'Princess Louise' passenger Gladigau was also a carpenter who was active in and around Hahndorf - his Carpenter brother joined them later and I believe that the Gladigaus built a different style of 'Fachwerk' than Carl in and around Hahndorf. I think I have drawn and measured every 'Fachwerk' building in Australia.

Tangermuende is indeed blessed with many picturesque and varied half timbered structures but  found no Faehrmann leads or traces of a matching building type.

  • LUBASCH family home allotment, No 80 Main Street Hahndorf.    Reg BUTLER Hahndorf Data Base, page 204.

    6.  Information from The Hahndorf Allotments Database.

    by Reg BUTLER, Hahndorf historian & author.

    Old Lot No. New Lot No. Street No. Street Name
    23 ** 26 80 Main Road

    6.1  All 1839 farming allotments to the LUBASCH family

    14 Church St, Hahndorf Data Base, page 66

    35 Church St, Hahndorf Data Base, page 74.

    6.2  More 1839 farming allotments to the Lubasch family

    16 Schubert Drive, Hahndorf Data Base, page 266.

    22 Bernhardt Crescent,  Hahndorf Data Base, page 266.

 

 

 

  •                                          

  • Photo on left above courtesy Adelaide Hills Local Wiki 'Schach Cottage'
    • 'The original cottage was constructed by carpenter Johann Gottlob SCHACH soon after purchasing the land from LUBASCH in 1854.
  • Photo on right above & description of cottage from historian E.A. WITTWER  extracted from 'Hahn's Village' 1979.
    • 1 Main Street, Hahndorf. Lot 3, Section 3812,  Hundred of Kuitpo CT 5157-174/5.
      •  of Section 3812   Mt Barker survey www. SCACH House Place no: 320 Assessment of Heritage Value
  • "The western side of the Main Street was not subdivided until 1849, when the land was purchased by Kanmantoo mine captain Joseph Remfrey who then surveyed it and sold off individual allotments during the next few years.  
  • In 1854, allotment 3 of section 3812 at the northern end of the ain street was purchased by 'machine maker' Johann Gottlieb SCHACH, who constructed house soon afterwards.  It was subsequently owned by Frederick KUCHEL and became known as Kuchel's cottage.  This is one of the oldest surviving buildings on the western side of the ain street.  The typical German construction of this cottage and its relatively good condition make it a significant serving example of early German development in Hahndorf"
  • This 1854 half timbered house displays typical early German design and construction techniques, particularly the construction of the walls with pug and brick infill to substantial timber frame, and the loft windows at the gable end" "half timbered walls with pug and brick infill, cgi gable and hipped roof and racked verandah timber framed openings including timber doors and casement windows, brick chimneys."
  • Section 4232. Adelaide Hills Localwiki, 'Wittwer's Barn-Hahndorf' by Anni Luur Fox.   "The first European owner of Section 4232 where the barn stands was Johann Friedrich Wilhelm WITTWER who paid 162 pound for its 81 acres at auction on 8 July 1853.  Since coming to Hahndorf with his wife and two children, he had been a very busy fellow working his homestead block at 98 Main Street and other cultivation blocks in the village.  In April 1842 he had been granted Section 3849 on River Road where he built a watermill at the junction of Cox's Creek and the Onkaparinga River.  When this was damaged by flood and fire, he went toward for Walter Paterson who had purchased Nixon's Windmill about halfway between Hahndorf and Mt Barker in 1844...By 1851 when the SA Registrar reported that Hahndorf had a small steam flour mill, the son was in charge of that enterprise at the age of 21 years.  In October 1852, his father sold the land with the remains of the watermill on River Road.  He bought the land where the barn stands in July 1853 followed by the windmill in August and the adjoining twenty one acres in September.  That was the year his son's steam mill was badly damaged when the boiler blew up but the subdivision of 85 acres purchased in Main Street in 1849 was bearing fruit. Another 77 acres abutting the Main Street were added to the Witter portfolio in 1855.  After Wittwer the Elder died in 1864 aged 63, his son retained all of these properties and on 9 January 1880 refinanced his mortgages for 2,000 pound. 
  • On 8 July 1853 in the Hundred of Kuitpo this  original Land Grant was to Friedrich Wilhelm WITTWER of Hahndorf, Miller, 81 acres for 81 pounds sterling and on 22 March 1906 it was sold to Johann August PAECH.

    1867:  Maria Elizabeth LUBASCH sells her fathers farm, less than a year after her 1st husband dies & 2 months before she remarries.

    South Australian Register [Adelaide, SA 1839-1900] August 17 1867  Government Advertisements 

    ONKAPARINGA, Hundred of -Sections 4222 and 4230 Maria Elisabeth LIEBELT, Hahndorf.  

    KUITPO, Hundred of - Pt of Section 3812 Maria Elisabeth LIEBELT, Hahndorf.

     

    Hd Onkaparinga Section 4222 and smaller section 4230

    1867, South Australian Register (Adelaide, SA: 1839 - 1900), 17 August, p. 4., viewed 31 Jul 2022, http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-page3952793

    1867, South Australian Register (Adelaide, SA: 1839 - 1900), 17 August, p. 4., viewed 31 Jul 2022, http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-page3952793

<body id="cke_pastebin" style="position: absolute; top: 24477.681641px; width: 1px; height: 1px; overflow: hidden; left: -1000px;">

 

  •                                          

  • Photo on left above courtesy Adelaide Hills Local Wiki 'Schach Cottage'
    • 'The original cottage was constructed by carpenter Johann Gottlob SCHACH soon after purchasing the land from LUBASCH in 1854.
  • Photo on right above & description of cottage from historian E.A. WITTWER  extracted from 'Hahn's Village' 1979.
    • 1 Main Street, Hahndorf. Lot 3, Section 3812,  Hundred of Kuitpo CT 5157-174/5.
      •  of Section 3812   Mt Barker survey www. SCACH House Place no: 320 Assessment of Heritage Value
  • "The western side of the Main Street was not subdivided until 1849, when the land was purchased by Kanmantoo mine captain Joseph Remfrey who then surveyed it and sold off individual allotments during the next few years.  
  • In 1854, allotment 3 of section 3812 at the northern end of the ain street was purchased by 'machine maker' Johann Gottlieb SCHACH, who constructed house soon afterwards.  It was subsequently owned by Frederick KUCHEL and became known as Kuchel's cottage.  This is one of the oldest surviving buildings on the western side of the ain street.  The typical German construction of this cottage and its relatively good condition make it a significant serving example of early German development in Hahndorf"
  • This 1854 half timbered house displays typical early German design and construction techniques, particularly the construction of the walls with pug and brick infill to substantial timber frame, and the loft windows at the gable end" "half timbered walls with pug and brick infill, cgi gable and hipped roof and racked verandah timber framed openings including timber doors and casement windows, brick chimneys."
  • Section 4232. Adelaide Hills Localwiki, 'Wittwer's Barn-Hahndorf' by Anni Luur Fox.   "The first European owner of Section 4232 where the barn stands was Johann Friedrich Wilhelm WITTWER who paid 162 pound for its 81 acres at auction on 8 July 1853.  Since coming to Hahndorf with his wife and two children, he had been a very busy fellow working his homestead block at 98 Main Street and other cultivation blocks in the village.  In April 1842 he had been granted Section 3849 on River Road where he built a watermill at the junction of Cox's Creek and the Onkaparinga River.  When this was damaged by flood and fire, he went toward for Walter Paterson who had purchased Nixon's Windmill about halfway between Hahndorf and Mt Barker in 1844...By 1851 when the SA Registrar reported that Hahndorf had a small steam flour mill, the son was in charge of that enterprise at the age of 21 years.  In October 1852, his father sold the land with the remains of the watermill on River Road.  He bought the land where the barn stands in July 1853 followed by the windmill in August and the adjoining twenty one acres in September.  That was the year his son's steam mill was badly damaged when the boiler blew up but the subdivision of 85 acres purchased in Main Street in 1849 was bearing fruit. Another 77 acres abutting the Main Street were added to the Witter portfolio in 1855.  After Wittwer the Elder died in 1864 aged 63, his son retained all of these properties and on 9 January 1880 refinanced his mortgages for 2,000 pound. 
  • On 8 July 1853 in the Hundred of Kuitpo this  original Land Grant was to Friedrich Wilhelm WITTWER of Hahndorf, Miller, 81 acres for 81 pounds sterling and on 22 March 1906 it was sold to Johann August PAECH.

    1867:  Maria Elizabeth LUBASCH sells her fathers farm, less than a year after her 1st husband dies & 2 months before she remarries.

    South Australian Register [Adelaide, SA 1839-1900] August 17 1867  Government Advertisements 

    ONKAPARINGA, Hundred of -Sections 4222 and 4230 Maria Elisabeth LIEBELT, Hahndorf.  

    KUITPO, Hundred of - Pt of Section 3812 Maria Elisabeth LIEBELT, Hahndorf.

     

    Hd Onkaparinga Section 4222 and smaller section 4230

    1867, South Australian Register (Adelaide, SA: 1839 - 1900), 17 August, p. 4., viewed 31 Jul 2022, http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-page3952793

    1867, South Australian Register (Adelaide, SA: 1839 - 1900), 17 August, p. 4., viewed 31 Jul 2022, http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-page3952793

</body>

Hi Janis

What an exciting heritage you have and your endeavors retracing the pioneer's journey  all tied up with a European bicycle tour - all sounds fantastic.

I had interviewed 'Ossie' Faehrmann  who lived in the house-now demolished next to St Paul's in 1975 when he told me of the Fridrichstadt and Paechtown 'Fachwerk' buildings his great grandfather built.

My subsequent research suggests that he and his sons built many important  buildings in and around Hahndorf. The Beerenberg barn is just one example of many. I believe these buildings are of international importance because they represent the best collection of its genre - not just within Australia but also outside Europe. I believe that Carl was one of many carpenters in the Australian context that built these half timbered structures  - but Carls were  without doubt the most substantive and artistic.

His Tangermuende friend and fellow 'Princess Louise' passenger Gladigau was also a carpenter who was active in and around Hahndorf - his Carpenter brother joined them later and I believe that the Gladigaus built a different style of 'Fachwerk' than Carl in and around Hahndorf. I think I have drawn and measured every 'Fachwerk' building in Australia.

Tangermuende is indeed blessed with many picturesque and varied half timbered structures but  found no Faehrmann leads or traces of a matching building type.

 

I have just completed translating a German book written by Carl's fellow passenger - Gustav Listemann. Although Listemann doesn't mention Carl by name, he infers at the work some of his fellow carpenter passengers had to put up with upon their arrival in SA.

One more thing - when I interviewed Ossie, he told the story of Carls wife Eleonore's  death in the Ranges (where the Freeway is now) by her pet bull.

I recently came across a 1892 water colour painting of a Hahndorf scene featuring a lady walking her bull - I think it could be Eleonore because she was a well known as the lady with her pet bull.

Good luck with your research and presentation - it sounds exciting. I would be interested in coming along so please let me know when and where. 

xx