Howard Place consisted of 4 houses at the east end of Gresham Terrace, at the side of the Royal Marine Hotel. These houses were demolished and the western end of the hotel was extended on to the site.
At the time of the 1911 census, House No 3 was occupied by Doctor Joseph Beatty and his family. He was a physician to Monkstown Hospital.
House No 4 was listed as a hotel two households with a combined 30 occupants, among whom were listed John Bailey, hotel proprietor, and his family. Virtually all of the other occupants had occupations likely to be associated with a hotel.