Vinyl Solution was a record store on 28th Street near Breton. It was opened in 1986 by Herm Baker who ran the store until 1996 when he had to file for bankruptcy. Herm now runs Vertigo Music.
July 28, 1992 - Morrissey visits Vinyl Solution
Just before 5 on the afternoon of July 28, MTV announced that Morrissey would be signing copies of his new album, "Your Arsenal," at Vinyl Solution, a record store in Grand Rapids, Mich. Within minutes, a line started to form outside the store, despite the fact that the singer wasn't due in until midnight.
By the time the signing began, more than 3,000 fans from all over the Midwest were massed outside the store, hoping to meet their idol. By 1:30 a.m., Morrissey was gone, and so was the store's stock of "Your Arsenal," all 557 copies of it. Even so, the fans didn't disperse until the automatic lawn sprinklers outside the store went on, at 2 a.m.
Paul Pastalaniec, one of the store's owners, laughs that it was "a near-riot situation." But really, it was just another case of Morrissey-mania.
In the late 1990s, Vinyl Solution hosted a number of punk rock shows in its basement.
Partial List of Shows
- 07/19/98 - The Bounty Hunters, Plan A Project, The Big Wheels
- 08/21/98 - Telegraph, Slo-Poke, The Skeptics, Seconds Away, The Phlegmatics
- 08/29/98 - The Bounty Hunters, Logan's Loss, Just For Kicks
- 09/26/98 - Just For Kicks, Fudge Gun, The Bounty Hunters
- 10/02/98 - Mad Butchers, Seconds Away, Ruth's Hat, Drive
- 10/11/98 - At The Drive-In, 8 Months in Between, Seconds Away, Just For Kicks
- 10/23/98 - Seven Letter Alphabet, Just For Kicks, Bounder
- 11/13/98 - The Bounty Hunters, Luckie Strike, New Left Standard
- 11/21/98 - The Bounty Hunters, Seconds Away, Radio Riot
- 11/28/98 - Blindshot, The Big Wheels, Hoppin' Mad
- 12/05/98 - Fudge Gun, Blindshot, Entropy, Just For Kicks