Born: July 3, 1847
Died: December 1, 1912
Children: Caroline Norton Lothrop (1888-1908); Harriet Lothrop Luttrell (1891-1919).
Alvin Mason Lothrop was the co-owner of Woodward & Lothrop, Washington, D.C.'s first department store, which opened in 1887; they had started in 1873 with dry goods stores in Massachusetts.
In 1887, Lothrop bought the esker separating Upper St. Regis Lake from Spectacle Ponds at the eastern foot of St. Regis Mountain, and built a camp he called Camp Kanosa. In 1920, he sold the camp to Marjorie Merriweather Post, who changed the name to Camp Topridge.
External link: The Lothrop Mansion in Washington, D.C.