Old Address: Lower Saranac Lake
Year built: 1903
Other information: The Daniel R. Hanna Camp on Lower Saranac Lake was owned by Daniel R. Hanna, son of wealthy businessman and later Senator Marcus A. Hanna of Ohio, who financed William McKinley's gubanatorial and presidential campaigns. The land for the Hanna Camp was purchased from the Ampersand Hotel Company in 1903, shortly before his father's death.
In 1920, the property was purchased by William M. Hanes, and, after his death, by Edmond A. Guggenheim. About 1954, it was sold to Dr. W. Frederick Klemperer and his wife Ingeborg; Dr. Klemperer had been living at the Doctor's Inn and working at the Trudeau Sanatorium. The house was in disrepair as it had not been properly maintained. The Klemperers built a house on the property and used it in the summer months when he was a professor at Syracuse University after the sanatorium closed, and later when he worked at the Veterans Administration Hospital in Tupper Lake. After he retired, they lived at the camp year-round.
When the Klemperers decided to move closer to one of their children, the property was sold to its current owner, Dr. David Johnson, who noted that Dr. Klemperer had used much of the lumber from the Hanna house in building the present house. The Johnsons have made many updates to the house.
Plattsburgh Republican, March 28, 1903
New Adirondack Camps.
A number of elaborate camps are being built in the Adirondacks, and extensive improvements and additions are being made to others…
A large cottage is being built for Daniel Hanna, son of Senator Hanna, on Lower Saranac Lake.
Brooklyn Daily Eagle, July 12, 1908
This camp was apparently also called Camp George at one time.