Alameda County came into being March 25, 1853 by an act of the California legislature. The county seat was at New Haven (Alvarado).

On June 6, 1853, the county was divided into 6 townships: Oakland, Clinton, Eden, Washington, Murray and Contra Costa.

On December 12, 1853, it was redistricted into 5 townships: Oakland, Clinton, Eden, Washington, and Murray.

1878 map

Links and References