Dr. Eugene Howard Barbera (April 28, 1890 – December 27, 1926) was a doctor who was the city chemist, and later the city physician from 1923 until his death in 1926. 1,2 At the time of his death, he was also on the surgical staff of Providence Hospital. 3
He studied at UC Berkeley c.1914. He later studied medicine at UCSF, as well as the Oakland College of Medicine and Surgery in 1918.
On May 1, 1919, he married Ada Gensoul (Barbera) (Harris) and they had 4 sons: Eugene H. Barbera, Jr., Robert T. Barbera, George Barbera, and Clifford Barbera. The family lived at 1040 Mandana Boulevard.
Dr. Barbera died of pneumonia in 1926. Mayor John L. Davie attended his funeral at Our Lady of Lourdes and city offices were closed during the funeral. He is buried in Saint Mary's Cemetery along with his parents Pasquale Barbera and Laura Edythe Barbera. His widow, Ada, remarried 10 years later, to Neal Harris.
During WWII, Ada volunteered six days a week for thousands of hours at the blood bank. All four sons served in WWII, George in the Marine Corps, and the others in the U.S. Army. 4
Links and References
- 'Poison' Pills Found Harmless by Chemist Oakland Tribune August 19, 1925
- Dr. Barbera's Funeral Is Set For Tomorrow Oakland Tribune December 28, 1926
- City Physician Barbera Dies Oakland Tribune December 27, 1926
- Oakland Women Give Vital Aid to Blood Bank Centers Oakland Tribune June 3, 1943