The first history editathon was a huge success! What are some of the highlights of the event? Things we created? What are suggestions for improving the wiki or the event? Strange and interesting historical tidbits?
- "Harlem of the West", a bustling 1940s blues scene on 7th st. in West Oakland. Also, a small section on it in the West Oakland article.
- Center for Contemporary Music
- Temescal Street Fair
- Swan's Market
- Oakland Chinatown StreetFest
- Old Oakland
- The Sunday Librarian, Martha Bergmann, went above and beyond to provide us with a comprehensive understanding of resources available to us. She put tons of thought and passion into her presentation. Thank you so much!
- The group received a special tour of the library's storage facility!
- Got to see the library's map room which contains historic Sanborn Maps , posters, and historic property tax/property assessment records.
- The History Room's "protests and activism" primary documents file.
- We should create a Neighborhoods Template!
- Hold editathons in other libraries, galleries, archives and museums (possibly also focus on unique archives at specific cultural institutions and/or focus on the communities that are served by them)
- Hold themed editathons (ex: WWII history)
- Hold editathons in coordination with particular groups (ex: League of Women Voters)
- Hold editathons in other locations, focusing on particular issues (ex: Swan's market, focusing on intentional communities; editathon at the Sudo Room, focusing on local hackerspaces (also, the building the Sudo Room is in has some pretty interesting history content waiting to be written up!))
- Eat-a-thons! Politely ask local eateries/business districts/food events for a taste of their delicious foods in exchange for high quality content on their businesses. YUM! :]
Cool history stuff
- In 2006, a UC Berkeley professor had his students create a 3D video game representation of the "Harlem of the West", West Oakland's famous post-war jazz and blues scene.
- LocalWiki blog post about the event (1/18/2013).
- "Weekly Oakland Wiki Edit-a-thons start at the History Room" (Oakland North, 1/14/12)
- Learn more about Oakland Wiki by attending a general meeting. We meet on Thursdays at 7pm in the Sudo Room!
We will be meeting again next Sunday in the Oakland History Room, 1-5pm.