The Oakland, Brooklyn and Fruitvale Railroad was a horse car line between downtown Oakland and the former town of Brooklyn. It was also called the "Tubbs Line", for Hiram Tubbs, one of the financial backers of the railroad. The Tubbs Hotel was well served by the line.

The line was constructed c.1871, and was the only streetcar to East Oakland until 1892. The railroad went from 7th and Broadway up to 12th Street, then across to East 12th Street, stopping at 13th Avenue. The fare was 10 cents or 3 tokens for 25 cents. 1 The railroad operated with four cars, 22 horses and numerous workers. 2,4

By 1889, the line had been absorbed by the Southern Pacific. 5

By 1895, it had been converted to electric cars, and Mayor Davie felt they were going too fast and failing to sound at every street crossing. 6 And in 1895, the assessed value of the railroad was $7,250. 3

Not to be confused with the Brooklyn and Fruitvale Railroad.

Links and References

Oakland Tribune 7

  1. History of East Bay Public Transportation actransit.org
  2. Hiram Tubbs on Lives of the Dead
  3. Assessor Dalton Fixes Values San Francisco Call June 27, 1895
  4. It Was 'Tubbs Line' Oakland Tribune May 1, 1952
  5. The Tubbs Hotel Line Oakland Tribune March 30, 1889
  6. Cars Run Too Fast San Francisco Call May 12, 1895
  7. The New and The Old In Eastbay Transportation Oakland Tribune November 9, 1936