|750 Bloor Street West|
|phone, fax, e-mail?|
Pumpkin Parade - November 1, 2009
Friends of Christie Pits Park Annual Pumpkin Parade is on Sunday November 1st, 2009 from 6 to 8 p.m.
Bring your jack-o-lantern, a marshmallow stick and a flashlight!
Please dress appropriately (reflective and warm) and enjoy the campfire and the amazing experience of being in the park in the dark!
Annual General Meeting
Please mark your calendars....
Friends of Christie Pits Park Annual General Meeting Monday September 28th 7p.m. Alex Duff Building refreshments will be provided and kids are always welcome
Our current Steering Committee is comprised of; Govind Rao (Co-Founder and Secretary), Dawn Vrablic (Communications Coordinator), Alice Kent (Community Liaison), Neil Dalhoff and Nicole Rochon (Community Garden), Eban Bari (Treasurer), Monica Gupta (Chair).
Our Events Committee includes; Melissa Iglessias, Amy Rogers, Carolyn Legere, Anni Jon and Majella Coleman.
Our membership has grown from 40 to 330 in one year! I guess we're getting quite popular?
We've really made a name for ourselves this summer....now is your chance to really make a difference in our community! Join a committee, come to meetings, come to events...show your committment.
See you in the park,
Monica Gupta Chair Friends of Christie Pits Park http://www.christiepits.ca
Friday September 18, 2009 - 7 p.m.
The ice rink in Christie Pits Park is currently being used a temporary dump location. The site is no longer accepting garbage, but what is there already, is staying there for the time being.
Christie Pits Harvest Hoe-Down
- Pot luck dinner
- Live Music
- Garden Tours
- and Pizza making!
Please bring a picnic blanket, something for the potluck and any eating utensils you may need.
Wednesday July 29 2009, 7 p.m.
I am so impressed with everyone who calls themselves a Friend. You have shown the City that we are a unified group who share a real concern about our community. I also feel that of all things, garbage, has brought our community together (and I thought pizza was all we needed).
Please join me to meet and greet all the great people in our community. Please bring your kids and a picnic blanket and enjoy the park.
Meet and Greet Wednesday July 29th Christie Pits Park Pavillion
Snacks to be provided (please bring your own drink)
Agenda items to include:
- How to keep parks off the list for future strikes,
- Summer Picnic Party Sunday August 16th,
- AGM September.
See you in the park,
Friday Pizza Oven Evenings will begin on Friday May 1st from 5:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m. Come and make your own wood fired pizza and meet your neighbours.
Hello all, Please join our meeting tonight Monday April 20, 2009 at 7 p.m. at Alex Duff. Agenda to include:
- Toronto Baseball Association presentation (lighting for third baseball diamond)
- Pizza Oven Nights start May 1st
- Community Garden Update
- Community Events: Big on Bloor, Koreatown Dano Spring Festival, Fiesta Farms update.
- Spring Clean Up Day Saturday April 25, 2009
Hope you can come to the meeting tonight! See you in the park,
Meeting Minutes: Friends of Christie Pits Park
April 20, 2009, 7 p.m. - 8:30 p.m., Alex Duff Pool
In Attendance: Monica, Sonia, Richard - Toronto Playgrounds Houseleague, Ted - Toronto Playgrounds Houseleague Baseball Association, Dave, Govind, Chris - Seaton Village Residents Association, Dawn, Alice, Amy, Marla - Toronto Playgrounds Houseleague, Bert - Friends of Bickford Park, Karen, Caroline, Magella, Eban
1. Toronto Baseball Association presentation (lighting for third baseball diamond)
- Marla gave presentation about Toronto Playgrounds, group started as the Lizzies
- Sports has been a part of the park for a long time
- Marla handed out an information sheet about baseball in the Park
- The TBA has put in an application for funding from the Blue Jays Baseball Team for lights to be added to the third baseball diamond
- Diamonds are permitted by the City
- The Big Diamond is public space, but is permitted by the City.
- Marla noted that school diamonds are often not suitable for some baseball practices because the ball is hit too far
- Plan is to have a timer installed on Diamond 3 so that the lights will go off automatically.
- Probably 2-3 lights would be installed.
- Discussion ensued about the space for soccer versus baseball
- Batting Cage - Proposed to be squeezed in between diamond 3 and the road way on the west of the pool according to Richard. Batting Cage would be approximately 20 x 80 feet, fenced in.
- Monica will canvass the Steering Committee’s views over email.
2. Pizza Oven Nights start May 1st, 2009
- From 5-7pm - volunteers needed who need to bring change
- Donna says we should be able to get the permits for the Pizza nights
3. Community Garden Update
- Neil and Nikki sent their regrets
4. Community Events:
- Big on Bloor - from Landsdowne to Montrose Ave. Koreatown BIA will not participate this year
- Koreatown Dano Spring Festival - Monica went to a Koreatown BIA festival
- Hyundai sponsorship will park 8 cars for 2 days - June 6/7th, 2009
- Jamie McKay is responsible for permits for the City of Toronto, if we want to express concerns about the rules for any festival
5. Spring Clean Up Day Saturday, April 25th, 2009 - 10 a.m. - 11:30 a.m.
- The Pizza Oven needs to be slowly heated up
- Dave has started doing this
Meeting adjourned 8:40 p.m.
New members and interested persons always welcome to attend the meetings. See our meeting schedule on http://www.christiepits.ca
Skate with Santa - Sunday December 21st, 2008
- Christie Pits Ice Rink: 1 p.m. - 3 p.m.
- Get into the festive mood and enjoy the winter weather.
- Skate with Santa, drink hot chocolate, hang out by the fire outside and inside, toboggan or tube.
Family Skating Days at Christie Pits
Family Skating Days - Sundays in December from 1 - 3pm
Join us every Sunday in December for Family Skating Days at the Christie Pits Ice Rink. There will be a bon fire, hot chocolate as well as an arts and crafts table inside for our younger ones who need a break or are non-skaters.
The rink opens on 6 December 2008. There are skates available for rental and dedicated shinny and pleasure skate times. See our full rink schedule for more details.
- 2009 planning meeting Monday December 15, 2008 at 7 p.m. at Alex Duff Pool.
Everyone is welcome to come and join in the discussion. We will sit by the fire and discuss issues for the new year. This should be a short meeting about 1 hour.
Parks Update- Tennis Courts, Benches, Vandalism and Homelessness. (Monica)
Events Update- Family Skate Days, Winterlude?, New Volunteers (Dawn)
Community Garden- New Volunteers and Coordinator needed. (Neil Dallhoff and friends)
Hot Chocolate will be served!
See you in the park!
- Monday November 17th at 7 p.m. at Alex Duff Pool (Christie Pool).
If you can find babysitting it would be great but if you can't we can accommodate.
1. Website Update- Dawn
a) http://www.christiepits.ca is now up and running with even more links
b) web content required from all members
c) photos of the park needed
2. Fundraising Update- Monica
a) bank information
b) fundraising goal
a) Pumpkin Parade review- Melissa, Alice
b) Family Skate Days
c) Winter Festival
4. Park Update-Monica
a) accessible swing
b) proposal for accessible park
c) safety/crime prevention
d) bike/foot path request
5. Other items as needed
Pumpkin Lighting Parade - 1 November 2008 at 6 p.m.
Pumpkin Parade at Christie Pits Park
What is your jack-o-lantern doing the night after Halloween?
Bring your pumpkin and its candle to the south side of the park on Saturday, November 1st at 6pm. Walk amongst the lit pumpkins and mingle with your neighbours! (Arrangements have been made with the City to pick up the pumpkins after the event.)
We hope you all can attend the next meeting to share your ideas or concerns regarding Christie Pits Park.
We are looking for dynamic, committed volunteers who have a passion for building up the community around the park and to share in it's evolution. If you are that person then let us know.
Please come and meet your neighbours and give your input.
Sunday September 28th 2-4pm Bob Abate Community Recreation Centre (Montrose and Bloor)