Anson Brown (? - 1834) was the lead developer of Lower Town. He moved to Ann Arbor from New York State, and built the Anson Brown Building, the Exchange Building, and the Ingalls Block on Broadway Street near the river. His vision of Lower Town as the center of Ann Arbor ceased abruptly when Brown died in a cholera epidemic in 1834.
His brother, Daniel Brown, opened a store on Main Street.
- 1001-1007 Broadway, Ann Arbor Architecture Archive, Ann Arbor District Library
Timeline: Anson Brown
September 30, 1885. The Founder Of The Lower Town, Ann Arbor Courier.. A reprint of the September 11, 1834 Western Emigrant account of the death of Anson Brown.