John Bryan and family were among the very first white settlers to arrive in Washtenaw County, arriving at Woodruff's Grove on the night of October 23, 1823. In 1824, Bryan purchased land and erected a house, moving into it on December 31 of that year.
Bryan was a carpenter, and a prolific builder and businessman; Chapman credits him with the construction of,
- 1827 - The first bridge over the Huron River
- 1832-33 - The Ballou House Hotel, which Bryan ran for a few years
- 1834 - The County courthouse
On September 3, 1832, Bryan hosted the assemblage of Ypsilanti residents that organized that village and held its first elections.
Bryan later moved to Constantine, MI,in December 1834. He built the first courthouse in St. Joseph County in 1842. He died in Constantine,MI in November 1864.
- History of Washtenaw County, Michigan : together with sketches of its cities, villages and townships...and biographies of representative citizens., Charles Chapman & Co., 1881. John Bryan search in this text.