Downtown Development Authorities were authorized by the State of Michigan in 1975, intended to provide a mechanism for stemming economic decay in the downtowns of Michigan's cities. A DDA is a corporation ("public body corporate", similar to a school district) that a city may set up within certain geographic boundaries in order to dedicate public resources to spurring private (re)investment of that area.
Ypsilanti was unique in Michigan for being the only municipality with two DDAs - the Depot Town Downtown Development Authority which covered Depot Town and West Cross Street, and the Ypsilanti Downtown Development Authority which covered downtown Ypsi. The DDAs have been merged, leaving a single organization that also has tax capture over the Water Street project.
TIF is a mechanism by which all increase in taxable value within the DDA boundaries after the founding date generates taxes for the DDA rather than the ordinary taxing bodies - city, county, etc. (School taxes are not included in a TIF capture.) A DDA can take out bonds guaranteed by future TIF income in order to undertake infrastructure improvements.
Ypsilanti Downtown Development Authority board membership current list is published on the On Board site. The list below dates from October 2014.
MEMBER POSITION TERM
Amanda Edmonds Chair July 7, 2009 to July 7, 2015
Karen Maurer Board Member July 7, 2009 to July 7, 2016
Leigh Greden Vice-Chair September 7, 2010 to September 7, 2017
Kevin Hill Board Member October 19, 2010 to July 7, 2016
Paul Schreiber Mayor January 1, 2011 to November 12, 2014
Rois Saavides Board Member June 19, 2012 to July 7, 2015
Regan Parker Board Member October 16, 2012 to July 7, 2015
Adam Gainsley Board Member July 7, 2013 to July 7, 2017
Richard Smith Board Member July 7, 2013 to July 7, 2016
- Ypsilanti Downtown Development Authority stories on AnnArbor.com
- Ypsilanti Downtown Development Authority stories on Ann Arbor Chronicle
- Ypsilanti Downtown Development Authority stories on Ann Arbor Observer
- Ypsilanti Downtown Development Authority stories in Heritage Media newspapers
- Ypsilanti Downtown Development Authority stories in the Google News archives
- Ypsilanti DDA webpage: http://www.ypsilantidda.org/
32 N. Washington St., Ste. 14
- Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Ypsilanti-MI/Ypsilanti-Downtown-Development-Authority/136835003012807