E. J. Kennedy's was a department store located in the Harding Block.
Edward J. Kennedy worked for Leonard's, and then went into a partnership with George A. Toupin at 8 Broadway, and was looking for a place to start a business of his own. His friend Phelps Smith got the Hardings and Kennedy together and ownership of the Harding Block passed from Emma T. Harding to E. J. Kennedy in March, 1918.
Kennedy hired the firm of Scopes and Feustmann to design a new storefront for the building, knocked out the interior ground floor divisions, and opened what was for ladies the equivalent of T.F. Finnigan's or C. J. Carey's.
The E. J. Kennedy's store remained in the Kennedy family until December, 1973. It stood vacant for a short period; but, in March, 1974, was sold to Kastern Inc. which transferred it to the ownership of its president, Hans Katzenstein, in August of that year. It was then the site of Katzenstein's Town and Country Shop and of the Parnell Shoe Salon, carrying on a tradition of quality in women's clothing that was begun 65 years before. Other tenants of the building have included James H. LaPan's law offices on the second floor; and, in the large, third floor apartment where the Kennedys lived for many years, Mrs. Hugh Kinghorn resided. (For more on Dr. Hugh Kinghorn, see discussion of the Church Street Historic District.)
Adapted from an article on the Harding Block by Philip L. Gallos.