Gonzalez Cottage Gonzalez Cottage, undated. Courtesy of Karen Lewis.

Address: 163 Park Avenue

Old Address: 80 Park Avenue

Other names: Mrs. George Conley (1920s), Mrs. Murphy (1928), National Vaudeville Artists Sanatorium (1929), Trohn Cottage (1930), Schwerd Cottage (1931), Gonzalez (1949-1952)

Year built: c.1918

Architect:

Other information: Built by Edgar T. Coleman. Now the largest surviving example as a commercial private sanatorium designed and built as a single unit, with all of its 18 spacious sleeping porches integrated into the original design concept; it could house as many as twenty-five TB patients. In its early years it was used as a cure cottage for the National Vaudeville Artists, who offered its facilities for NVA members, whether entertainers or backstage workers. After the NVA built the Will Rogers Sanatorium, it was operated by Alfredo Gonzalez for Latin American patients.

One of its patients was the Colonel Mario Vargas, chief of staff of the Venezuelan Army. He was visited there by Venezuelan President Romulo Gallegos on July 10, 1948, a visit which drew a crowd of more than 300 to the airport in Lake Clear when he arrived; a picnic was held in his honor at the Guggenheim Camp on Lower Saranac Lake. 1

It was sold to the American Management Association in 1957 by Alfredo Gonzalez, who had owned the building since 1932.

The Gonzalez Cottage is listed on the National Register of Historic Places as a contributing element to the Cottage Row Historic District.

Other historic properties

Source

Comments

Footnotes

1. Adirondack Daily Enterprise, July 10, 1948