Died: October 6, 1938
Married: Helen Peabody Blagden
Thomas Blagden was an early landowner of the Saranac Inn region, having owned great tracts of land and built many of the earliest camps on the lake. He also founded a boys' camp, La Jeunesse, on Fish Creek.
Tupper Lake Free Press And Herald, October 6, 1938
THOS. BLAGDEN DIES MONDAY
Born in Washington Oct. 18, 1863, Blagden was educated in the public schools there. He came to the Adirondacks in 1870 and opened Camp Alpha, first of a series of lodges in the upper Saranac Lake area.
Malone Palladium, November 6, 1902
The advertisement of THOS. BLAGDEN, of Saranac Inn, for live partridges, which appears in another column of the PALADIUM, is one of many evidences that a new and better spirit is developing among sportsmen, whose motive has long been to kill, kill, kill without thought for ultimate consequences. Therefore the fishing and hunting in many localities have been destroyed, and a principal attraction of the wilderness sacrificed. Entire species of wild animals have been nearly or quite exterminated while in the process the genus, the human hog, has thrived and multiplied. Happily, however, many men have been of late taking thought for the morrow, and while these continue to kill in moderation they; provide for replenishing also. Such work as Mr. BLAGDEN apparently contemplates supplemented by a decent observance of the game law, will go along way to keep the Adirondacks a game section, and to make the business of hotel keeping and of guiding profitable. A good part of the money brought into the county in this way finds a wide distribution, and accomplishes a general benefit. Tradesmen get it, and market gardeners and poultry fanciers especially share in it. Stocking, both as to fish and animals, should go hand by hand with killing.
Tupper Lake Herald, July 5, 1912
CHIEF JUSTICE WHITE
Takes the Famous Cleveland Cabin at Saranac Inn for the Season
Chief Justice White of the United States Supreme Court has rented the cottage adjoining Saranac Inn, at Upper Saranac Lake, which is owned by Mr. Blagden and for a number of seasons was occupied by President and Mrs. Cleveland. The cottage is picturesquely located in the woods with an extensive lawn which affords a view of lake and mountain scenery.
Malone Farmer, April 14, 1920
Thomas Blagden, one of the best known summer residents of Saranac Inn, who owned "Deer Wood Camp" and "Camp-o'-the-Winds" on the Upper Saranac, and two cottages at Saranac Inn, has sold "Deerwood" to John L. Severence, of Cleveland, Ohio, and "Camp-o'-the-Winds" to J. R. Harbeck, of New York. The former consists of 60 acres and has a famous deer park containing about a dozen deer. The camp is a large English country house of about 25 rooms and half a dozen baths. The springs and piping system supplying the camp are a notable feature of the property.
"Camp-o'-the-Winds" adjoins it and consists of 70 acres of land and many buildings. It is one of the handsomest properties in the Adirondacks. Both properties brought about $300,000. Mr. Blagden will retain his cottages at Saranac Inn which he will continue to occupy.