Born: May 21, 1871

Died: August 9, 1945

Married: Ella C. Dullea Finnigan

Children: Thomas F. Finnigan, Jr.; two daughters, Mrs. Ralph Bruso and Edna (Mrs. Harold) Cardy

Thomas Francis Finnigan owned and operated T.F. Finnigan's men's clothing store starting in 1923; the store is the only clothing store from that era still in business.


Adirondack Daily Enterprise, August 10, 1945

T.F. Finnigan, Sr., Succumbs; Owner Of Clothing Store

Thomas Francis Finnigan, Sr., owner of the T. F. Finnigan clothing store on Main street passed away at 3:45 o'clock yesterday afternoon at his home Riverside drive.

Mr. Finnigan was taken seriously ill a week ago and his health failed throughout the week, terminating with his death. For the past several years he had not been well but was able to be at his store each day.

Born at Colton on May 21, 1871, he was the son of the late Thomas F. and Catherine Casey Finnigan. He received his education in the schools at Colton and spent his early life in that village.

When a young man, he went to Paul Smiths where for 12 years he was employed by the Paul Smith's Hotel company. In 1911 he moved to Saranac Lake to make his home.

At that time he was associated with the clothing store business at the C. J. Carey company. He was employed by the men's store until 1923 when he went into business for himself.

Mr. Finnigan opened his men's store at 78-80 Main street in the same building in which the business now operates. Later he purchased the entire building and during the years enlarged and improved the store and upper floors.

The business grew to its present size and became one of the finest men's shops in Northern New York catering to men's and boys' attire.

Survivors of Mr. Finnigan are his wife, Mrs. Ella C. Dullea Finnigan; a son, Thomas F. Finnigan, Jr.; two daughters, Mrs Ralph Bruso and Mrs. Harold Cardy and two grandsons, Thomas F. Finnigan, 3rd, and Ralph Bruso, Jr., all of Saranac Lake.

A requiem High Mass will be celebrated at 9 o'clock tomorrow morning in St. Bernard's church and interment will take place in St. Bernard's cemetery. A service at the home will precede the Mass.


Lake Placid News, April 6, 1923

MR. FINNIGAN OPENS STORE

On March 28th a new Men's Shop was opened by T. F. Finnigan at 78-80 Main Street, Saranac Lake.

Mr. Finnigan has had a wide expenence in the line of business he has launched. For the past twelve years he has been associated with C. J. Carey Co., clothiers, and thru the long years of meeting the public of Saranac Lake and vicinity has made a host of friends.

The new store is stocked with a line of high class men's clothing and furnishings. It has a new modern front deigned by Robin Voris of New York City, store front specialist, and is completely equipped with up-to-date fixtures. Altogether the store with its attractive front and fine interior has the air of a metropolitan establishment.

Mr. Finnigan is a welcome member to the fraternity of Saranac Lake merchants and has best wishes for success from his many friends and acquaintances.

Comments