Driver Plaza (also known as Jasper P. Driver Plaza) is a small park in the Santa Fe neighborhood of North Oakland. Driver Plaza is bounded by Genoa Street, 61st Street and Stanford Avenue, Oakland, CA. It is named after Jasper P. Driver, who formerly lived at 874 - 59th Street.
Aunti Frances' Love Mission Self Help Hunger Program regularly provides free home cooked meals to the local community with some produce grown on site by Phat Beets and community members. Regular cleanups are organized by the Santa Fe Community Association & Neighbors (Santa Fe CAN), a 501(c) (3) volunteer powered community association. Users of the Plaza engage in weekly cleanups. To join Santa Fe CAN, please email Nate Williams, Beautification Co-Chair at [email protected]
Links and References
- Petition to permit a community-funded Port-A-Potty for community elders
- Battle Over a Sliver of Land in Changing Oakland Neighborhood, KQED
- http://www2.oaklandnet.com/Government/o/opr/s/Parks/index.htm (misidentifying the Plaza as being located at 5650 Adeline St.).
- 1940 Census page showing Driver family
- http://www.santafecan.org for more information on the Santa Fe Community Association & Neighbors.
- https://www.facebook.com/auntifrances?fref=ts&ref=br_tf for more information on Aunti Frances' Self Help Hunger Program.