In April of 1932, Hagstrom's Food Stores was formed by Emil A Hagstrom, who just 5 years earlier sold of his chain of 300 plus Mutual Stores to MacMarr Stores. The first ten stores were opened in June of that same year.
The firm's headquarters were opened in the old Stars Motor Plant at 107th and E.14th Street. There was a small office building in the front of a large building divided into three wings. The central section was used for the grocery and produce warehouse for the stores, while the other was used for the creamery and bakery. The space between was for loading platforms and maintenance for the delivery trucks. The grounds surrounding the plant were landscaped and kept up like a beautiful park.1
A fleet of trucks and drivers delivered these goods to the stores several times a day, to ensure freshness and quality.
In June of 1932, the first ten stores opened "Each Store will be a Complete Market" with "Choice Fresh Meats and Vegetables". The first ten store was to be followed by additional stores each week. 2
On December 1, 1932, the 32nd store was opened at 73rd and E. 14th Street. 3
- Hagstrom's Food Store was located on 2900 Broadway in Oakland, California.
- Montclair District 6450 Moraga Blvd - 1944
- Laurel District at 3529 MacArthur Boulevard in the 1950s.
- 3838 Grand Ave. through the early 60s.
- Hagstrom's Food Store Truck Wisconsin Historical Society
- Hagstroms Store circa 1942 in Walnut Creek - http://walkwc.toursphere.com/en/182-hagstroms-market-108480.html
- A legal case against Hagstrom's: http://law.justia.com/cases/california/calapp2d/81/601.html
1. Hagstrom's Opens May 31, 1932 - https://www.newspapers.com/clip/18457643/hagstroms_opens_may_31_1932/
2. The First 10 Stores - ttps://www.newspapers.com/clip/18457686/the_first_ten_stores_may_31_1932/
1. Hagstroms Food Store formed 1932 - April 1932 Oakland Tribune .pdf
2. Hagstroms Celebrates 2nd Anniversary 1934 Berkeley Gazette - 30 May 1934 Berkeley Daily Gazette.jpg
3. End of Era Hagastrom http://www.mercurynews.com/my-town/ci_27498803/good-stuff-dublins-days-nights-wine-and-poems