Allendale (sometimes Allendale Park) is a neighborhood between Fruitvale and Maxwell Park, roughly between Foothill and MacArthur. Originally its own town, settled in 1895 it was annexed to Oakland in 1909. By 1906 Allendale had a Methodist church (anyone know which?), a bakery, butcher, hardware store, community hall and saloon on Allendale Ave.

By 1910 there was an "Allendale Improvement Club" of 250 members working to improve the district. In 1927 the art deco Allendale Theatre was built at what is now 3116 Liese Ave. The theatre closed in 1941 and now houses the Theater Apartments. 1

CC SA-BY Our Oaklandhistoric sign CC SA-BY Our Oakland
 

References

  1. Mailman, Erika. Oakland's Neighborhoods. Oakland: Mailman Press, 2005.

Pages tagged “Allendale”