Cantin & Cantin were father and son architects, Alexander (Aimwell) Cantin (March 4, 1874–January 16, 1964) and (Alexander) Mackenzie Cantin (January 21, 1912–2002), particularly known for designing movie theaters.
- Lux Theater - 1948 remodel
- Claremont Theatre - 1926 remodel
- Dimond Theater - 1926 build
- Longfellow Elementary - 1958
- Sunset Telephone Company - 1906 build
- T & D Theatre - 1925 remodel
- Oakland Tech - 1960, auditorium and library (also A. M. Cantin)
- Roosevelt Theatre - 1925 remodel
- Fox Oakland Theatre - 1930s remodel of facade and entrance
- Piedmont Theatre - 1934 remodel
Alexander earned his architecture license in 1901. He designed a number of buildings in San Francisco, the first permanent buildings for the College of Marin, and the Orinda Theatre. A. M. Cantin, while working at Miller & Pflueger, helped design the Pacific Telephone Building at 140 New Montgomery St. in San Francisco. "Of lifelong interest to him was the design of decorative columns. He was awarded patents for several of his column designs." 1
Mackenzie attended the school of architecture at UC Berkeley, graduating in 1935. He earned his architecture license in 1945, and the firm became Cantin & Cantin.
The Cantin family's remains are in the Chapel of Memories.
Links and References
- Cantin, Alexander and Mackenzie at UC Berkeley Environmental Design Archives
- Inventory of the A.A. and A.M. Cantin Collection, 1933-1977 OAC
- A. Mackenzie Cantin on The AIA Historical Directory of American Architect
- Alexander A. Cantin on FindAGrave.com
- A. Mackenzie Cantin on FindAGrave.com
- Alexander Aimwell Cantin on The AIA Historical Directory of American Architect