Slauson Middle School (named after lifelong educator Herbert Slauson) was a school that housed grades 6-8, from 1937 through 2015. It was opened a year after Herbert Slauson's death. Feeder elementary schools included Eberwhite, Bach (had a choice zone to go to Forsythe or Slauson prior to the closure of Slauson), Dicken, and Lawton. Most Slauson students continued on to Pioneer High School, although those in the Bach choice zone were in the Skyline district. Their school mascot was golden bears, and their colors were gold and red.
Ann Arbor middle schools have five sport seasons for students to participate in. Slauson traditionally had very high participation in sports and after-school clubs.
Due to a lack in funding, Slauson Middle School closed permanently in 2015 and became an occasional summer camp program building. The school was demolished later that year.
- 1937: The school was first opened, named in honor of Herbert Slauson, a former Ann Arbor Superintendent of Schools. The first principal was Rolls B. Finley.
- 2015: The school closed permanently.
- Later in 2015: The school was demolished.
- Slauson Middle School stories on AnnArbor.com
- Slauson Middle School stories on Ann Arbor Chronicle
- Slauson Middle School stories on Ann Arbor Observer
- Slauson Middle School stories in Heritage Media newspapers
- Slauson Middle School stories in the Google News archives
Unable to include Aaps