Pupils and teachers at the Baldwin School. Left to Right, 1st row: Tom Cantwell, Wilson Hewitt, Graham Dunlap; 2nd row: Gray Blanchet, Gilmer Petroff, Tom Clement, Charles Hibbs, Lucile Walter; 3rd row: Prof. E. H. Baldwin, Peter Haase, Virginia Cooper, Graham Patterson, Brandon Shaw; 4th row: Frank Clement, Mrs. Baldwin, Miss Vanderveer, Billy Russ, Eleanor Dayton, Ruth Collins, Eleanor Hay, Lois Patterson, Bobby Brown; 5th row: Beatrice Lent, Mrs. Clark, Caroline Oakey. (June 1922) Baldwin School (undated) Courtesy of Sarah Blanchet Top, back row: Bobby Brown, Billy Russ, Gray Blanchet, William Wroten, Anne Quimby, Jack Asiel, Graham Patterson; Middle three, standing in front of back row: Tom Clement, Virginia Cooper, Welthea Starks; Three on left: Gilmer Petroff, kneeling; Harriet (no last name given), sitting; John Poyer, sitting; Front row: Wilson Hewitt, Earnest V. Shaw, Jr., Mary E. Sampson, Mary Stirling, James Stirling, Brandon Shaw. (June 1924) The former Baldwin School, now a private home Baldwin School, Adirondack Daily Enterprise, April 5, 2003 Address: 1264 Pine Street

Old Address: 34 Pine Street

Year built: c. 1906

Architect: Likely Scopes and Feustmann

The Baldwin School was a private school founded by E.H. Baldwin in 1907 as a "private day and tutoring school" that served students of all ages. It was operated for twenty years after his death by his wife, Annie Leonard Baldwin. While its offerings and student body changed throughout its 34 years, its main focus was on schooling students whose education had been interrupted elsewhere, often by health issues. It closed in 1942. 1

Adirondack Daily Enterprise, May 7, 1954


Members of the local Girl Scout Council are completing plans to join in ceremonies at Plattsburgh Saturday which will inaugurate formally the North Country Area Girl Scout Council.

The Area Council organizes Girl Scouting in Clinton, northern Essex and Franklin counties. The Council has been in the planning stages for, the past five years.

In Saranac Lake the Girl Scouts were started in 1928 with Mrs. Lare as leader and Mrs. Oscar Worthen as advisor. The first troop had nine girls and met in the now extinct Community House on Bloomingdale avenue.

Mrs. Worthen was chairman for 10 years and thereafter served on the Council. After a succession of meetings in churches, public halls and private homes, the organization rented the Baldwin School on Pine street. In 1945 the property was purchased from Mrs. Ernest Baldwin at a price, an official said, "which made it practically a gift."

For several years during the past local Scout leaders conducted a day camp on Lower Saranac Lake, but most of the regular camping was done at Camp Tapawingo, on Lake Champlain.

Now, after a quarter of a century in Saranac Lake, the local Council is receiving reports from some of its first Girl Scouts that they are serving as leaders in their communities.

Today the local Council has approximately 110 girls divided into six active troops with approximately 40 adults actively interested in furthering the organization.

Other historic properties



1. Adirondack Daily Enterprise, December 24, 1999