The Home of Eternity Cemetery is a small Jewish cemetery within the gates of Mountain View Cemetery. The cemetery opened in 1865 when the Hebrew Benevolent Society (HBS) purchased 2 acres of land from Mountain View Cemetery. For many years it was owned and operated by Temple Sinai; since 2019, it has been owned and run by Sinai Memorial Chapel.
The First Hebrew Congregation (as Temple Sinai was then known) was founded in 1875 by the HBS. In 1889, First Hebrew Congregation purchased 2 additional acres, and held a fundraiser to build a chapel. 1
A mausoleum was added in 1938, and expanded in the 1940s and 1960s.
Sinai Memorial Chapel, based in Palo Alto, took over in 2019.
Photos from Our Oakland
Photos from HiMY SYeD
Oaklanders buried in Home of Eternity
Links and References
- Home of Eternity Cemetery website (via archive.org)
- Sinai Memorial Chapel website
- Sinai Memorial takes over Oakland Jewish cemetery from Temple Sinai Jewish Weekly October 25, 2019
- Purim Ball Oakland Tribune March 15, 1889