The Oakland Bar Association was founded in 1877, and existed under that name until 1917 when it became the Alameda County Bar Association.
The founding president was Zachariah Montgomery.
In 1914, the Oakland Bar Association was represented at the California Bar Association convention by R. M. Fitzgerald, Charles E. Snook, George W. Reed, W. H. L. Hynes and president Melvin C. Chapman, who was mayor of Oakland from 1891–1893. The convention that year was held at the Hotel Oakland, and Chapman was one of the main speakers.
Members have included: R. M. Fitzgerald, A. L. Frick, William H. Donahue, William R. Davis, Sam Bell McKee, Stanley Moore, Milton S. Hamilton, George E. de Golia, W. B. Bunker, Fred G. Ostrander, A. M. Rosborough, R. A. Redman, S. G. Nye, John R. Glascock, Earl Warren, Earl W. White, A. J. Woolsey, J. C, Martin, J. H. Smith
At its April 7, 1917 meeting, the Oakland Bar Association voted to change its name to the Alameda County Bar Association. 1