1899 Dingee map excerpt

The Hights was the 52-acre estate of Joaquin Miller, and is now part of Joaquin Miller Park.

The land was purchased by Oakland in 1919 to become a new city park. That was later merged with Sequoia Park to become the Joaquin Miller Park of today.

In addition to planting thousands of cypress, pine, and eucalyptus trees, Joaquin Miller built a number of monuments/follies, and several structures. Most of the structures except the Abbey are gone.

For a time there was a small pond near the Abbey and a seasonal creek. The creek is remembered with a small bridge near the restored Abbey. Note that the original county road followed a slightly different route up the hillside; the Abbey was not as close to the road as it is now to Joaquin Miller Road.

Pages tagged “The Hights”

Add new "The Hights"

Links and References