The Oakland Gas Light Company (sometimes referenced as the Oakland Gas-Light Company, the Oakland Gas and Light Company, and/or the Oakland Gaslight Company) was founded in 1866. The company's first president was Anthony Chabot.
Broadway was lined with gas lamps installed by the Oakland Gas Light Company in 1867.
Circa 1884, the company changed its name to the Oakland Gas, Light and Heat Company.
In 1889, John A. Britton became president of the company, and guided its growth and eventual merger into what is now the Pacific Gas & Electric Company, where he served as vice-president and general manager.
William Watrus Crane, Jr., former mayor of Oakland, served as president of the Oakland Gas and Light Company.
Article below [page 64] from "Oakland, Athens of the Pacific" by George W. Calderwood, Oakland (Calif.). Board of Trade, G. T. Loofbourow, Merchants' Exchange (Oakland, Calif.) 1897, showing a photo of the Oakland Gas, Light and Heat Company building.
Links and References
- The History of Gas-Lighting in Alameda County Journal of Electricity, Power and Gas, June 25, 1910
- Gossip About Gas Men Gas Age-Record, December 31, 1921
- John Alexander Britton - A Biographical Sketch Electrical Record, February 1911
List of mayors of Oakland, California Wikipedia
William Watrous Crane, Jr. (1830-1883): Oakland Mayor Mountain View People
The Night the Lights Went On Oakland Magazine
Alameda County, the Eden of the Pacific Oakland Tribune 1898