Food Gatherers was founded by Zingerman's Deli, and even now, only a small part of their funding comes from governmental sources.
They have a very cool warehouse / distribution facility near Dhu Varren and Pontiac Trail. Massive scales weigh food as it enters and leaves the warehouse, and there is some serious food prep and storage going on. The warehouse is now served by the AATA Route 1! An expansion to the facility was approved by the Ann Arbor City Council in 2012.
An annual fundraiser, Grillin', is Sunday, June 14 2015 at the Washtenaw Farm Council Grounds. This year find foods from Al Dente Pasta Co., Arbor Brewing Company, Cafe Zola, The Common Grill, eve, Knight's Steakhouse, D'Artagnan, Inc, Tio's Southwestern Grill and Zingerman’s Deli, Zingerman's Bakehouse and Zingerman's Creamery.
In the news
Board of Directors
As of March 2010.
- Chair: Kevan P. Lawlor, President and CEO, NSF International
- Vice-Chair: Paul Saginaw, Owner and Founding Partner Zingerman's Community of Businesses
- Treasurer: Steven Hardy, Financial Services, Washtenaw Community College
- Secretary: Susan Sweet Scott, Social Worker, Washtenaw County Senior Services and Nutrition Program Director, Employment Training and Community Services of Washtenaw County
- Staff: Eileen Spring, President and CEO, Food Gatherers
- Camille Shy, Vice President, Development St. Joseph Mercy Health System
- Gary Bruder, Attorney, Bruder, PLC
- Karen Peterson, Professor & Director, U of M Nutrition Program, University of Michigan School of Public Health
- Linda Schlanderer Brewer, VP & Private Client Services Officer, Bank of Ann Arbor
- Margie Hagene, Consultant
- Rick Strutz, Managing Partner, Zingerman's Deli
- Ruth Blackburn, MPH, RD Food Systems Consultant
In the news
- Chipping in for Thanksgiving Dinners: Frito-Lay employees help Food Gatherers pack meals, Ann Arbor Chronicle, November 2008