Whether you're search for an tastebud adventure or just wanting to buy a bottle in town, you have come to the right place. Stop making wine to get by. Instead visit a local winery or head out to the wine country (Also see Alcohol.)
Wine at UCD
- Viticulture and Enology — UC Davis has a top-notch department as well as its own winery facilities.
- VEN 3 is a Classic UC Davis Course in winemaking.
- The Campus Wine Cellar is a very enviable wine collection housed on the north side of campus.
- Robert Mondavi Institute for Wine and Food Science
- Our student vineyards are located west of campus and The Colleges.
- The Vinecology research group works on the ecological consequences and improvements in vineyards
- The Wine Aroma Wheel was developed at UC Davis by Dr. A. C. Noble to define the different terminology used to describe the sensory qualities of wines.
- Fiddlehead Cellars
- Putah Creek Winery
- Rominger West Winery located in East Davis. Open 10-6 Monday-Saturday. Free wifi, tasty cheeses, salami & crackers for sale, hosts private events.
- Senders Wines in El Macero
See Wineries for more information.
Retail wine in Davis
- Cost Plus World Market Some surprisingly good prices on decent wines!
- Tucos Wine Market and Cafe Specializes in high-quality, hard-to-find wines and wineries in a wide variety of prices.
- Supermarkets, notably the Nugget.
- Valley Wine Company, extremely knowledgeable wine merchants; can provide great recommendations on pairings
- Some of the Art Galleries offer wine during ArtAbout.
- http://www.wineshopathome.com/tammyperez Tammy Perez, independent wine consultant, hosted wine tastings in your home, gift baskets, personalized wines, wine club
- Cork It Again Wine Sellers Discount wine outlet and tasting room; 5.99/bottle.
Hot Mulled Wine
AndrewBanta makes a killer hot wine of sorts, it's like cider and delicious, he should post his secret ways...—MichelleAccurso
Ah, correct you are Ms. Accurso. What he makes is called: Hot Mulled Wine. I use a Cabernet Sauvignon. You could buy pre-packaged mulling spices. However, I opt to make my own mulling spices from scratch. Ingredients are as follows:
- whole allspice
- whole clove
- fresh orange zest
- brown sugar
- cinnamon sticks
Put the whole mess in crock-pot and cook on a lower setting for approx. 6 to 8 hours, I spice to taste. I tend to use a bit of purified water, since the wine can become a bit pungent. I recommend adding only half the bottle at first so you don't cook all the alcohol out of the wine.
- There's a completely unrelated open source software program called Wine, and two of the developers attend UC Davis. Check out the Wikipedia article
- To whine about Davis, go to the I hate Davis entry.