KFC is the largest restaurant chain in the world that specializes in chicken-related products. There are several across Downriver.
- 8020 Allen Road at Belmont Avenue in Allen Park. Opened in 1974.
- 27127 Telegraph Road at Thomas Street in Flat Rock. Opened in 1978.
- 556 Southfield Road at LeJune Avenue in Lincoln Park. Opened in 1985.
- 1217 Dix Highway at College Avenue in Lincoln Park
- 12425 Dix-Toledo Highway at Rosedale Street in Southgate. Opened in 1967.
- 12825 Eureka Road at Fort Street in Southgate. Opened in 1990.
- 10130 Telegraph Road at Koths Street in Taylor. Opened in 1972.
- 16177 West Road in Woodhaven. Opened in 1986.
- 7211 Allen Road at Harrison Street in Allen Park. Moved to 8020 Allen in 1974. Now Little Caesar's.
- 912 Dix Highway at Olive Street in Lincoln Park. Relocated to 1217, now Pancho's Mexican Buffet.
- 936 Southfield Road at Wilson Avenue in Lincoln Park. Relocated to 556. Now Zorba's Coney Island.
- 10820 West Jefferson Avenue at Burke Street in River Rouge. Opened in 1968, closed in 2008, later Jefferson Deli in 2011, now it's another restaurant.
- 9267 Wayne Road at Wick Road in Romulus. Later China Chef, torn down.
- 2220 West Road at Rutledge Street in Trenton. Was once affiliated with H. Salt Esquire. Moved to 16177 West in 1986, torn down not too long afterward. Site now houses a building that was originally Slick Disc, then several other businesses, but is now vacant.
- 3587 Fort Street in Wyandotte. Opened in 1966, relocated to 12825 Eureka in 1990. Now houses a dental office.
History of the name
The original name for KFC is Kentucky Fried Chicken. Although it was officially shortened to the abbreviation in 1991, many people still use it today, also, many people were already using the abbreviation before 1991.