Large quantities of milk were prescribed for T.B. patients. Milk bottles and bottle caps document some of the many dairies established in the Saranac Lake area to provide it.
There were small farms all over the area in the 1900s, many of them surviving into the 1940s and 50s. Many small farmers sold their milk in bulk, usually in forty-quart cans that they delivered to larger farms where milk was bottled and sold retail. Farms active in the area included:
- Adirondack Dairy / Durgan's / A. C. Bartz / Dairy-Dell Inc., Harrietstown Road
- Altamont Dairy / Franklin Dairy, Tupper Lake
- A. C. Bartz Dairy, see Adirondack Dairy
- Cloverdale Farm
- Dairy Dell
- Donnelly's / Crystal Spring Dairy, Harrietstown Road
- Doug Martin Farm, Gabriels
- Durgan's Farm, see Adirondack Dairy
- Green Valley Farm (Norman), Bloomingdale Road
- Hesseltine's Dairy on Trudeau Road
- Kelly Farm on Trudeau Road
- Kiwassa Farm (Betters), Kiwassa Road
- Lake Colby Dairy and Produce Farm, Lake Colby Road
- Leahy Farm on Trudeau Road
- McDonald Farm, Forest Home Road
- F.H. McKillip Dairy, Bloomingdale Road
- F. P. VanCour Farm, Bloomingdale
- McMaster Farm, Forest Home Road
- Meadowbrook Farm, Ray Brook
- Morgan Farm, Harrietstown Road
- Mountain View Farm, Trudeau Road. Most of the acreage is now part of the Beechwood subdivision.
- Mt. Pleasant Farm (Finegan), Harrietstown Road
- B.F. Norman & Son
- Oseetah Dairy, Ray Brook
- Pine Grove Farm
- Rosebud Creamery Inc.
- St. Regis Dairy
The Board of Health ran tuberculin tests on the cows, to certify that they were free of tuberculosis, and checked milk deliveries for sanitary practices. Among the names appearing in their records as milk delivery men are Theo Clark, Wm. Betters, B. Cameron, Joe Branch, Hugh Morgan, John Henry Morgan, Gowett Brothers and John Tierney. In January 1923, an entry in the Board of Health book had this to say: "All herds furnishing grade A milk and cream in the Village tuberculin tested and free from tuberculosis, in compliance with the law."
Herds tested included:
- in Bloomingdale: Fred VanCour, 12 cows; W.J. Johnson, 30 cows; William Williams, 11 cows; Sewell Wardner, 10 cows; Frank Norman, 12 cows; Francis O'Neil, 10 cows
- in Saranac Lake: A.H. McKillip, 26 cows; Joe VanCour, 19 cows; William McKillip, 23 cows; Martin Donnelly, 38 cows; John McDonald, 29 cows; Fred Dukett, 9 cows; Ben Durgan, 38 cows; M. Cardinal, 20 cows
- in Gabriels, Doug Martin, 12 cows.