The meaning of the term "livery" has changed with the development of the automobile. At the start of the twentieth century, a livery was a place where a horse and wagon or a coach and coachman might be hired. The Sanborn maps of 1916 and earlier show stables behind most buildings; by the 1945 maps, they are gone.
Several liveries developed into related businesses. Maddens turned into a moving and storage company; Latour's sold feed and grain, and then added firewood, coal, fuel oil and even groceries and automobiles.
As the automobile replaced the horse, a livery came to mean a cab stand, and a livery man became a cabby. Livery men, of both kinds, in Saranac Lake included
- Giles Bombard on the corner of Main Street and Broadway
- Brown's Livery at 7 Olive Street, later on Woodruff Street
- Buckley's Livery at the Grand Union
- Bush Livery on Church Street
- Ed Cagle at the Arlington
- Dan Cotter had liveries the Wawbeek and at the Hiawatha Lodge
- Merton Drury at the Riverside Inn
- Mike Egan at the Empire Hotel
- Fowler's Livery at 2 Broadway
- Harry Friedman on Woodruff Street
- Greenough's Livery near the Hotel Ampersand
- Richard Johnson on Main Street, behind the Cutler Building
- Edward LaBounty at 25-27 Woodruff Street
- J.A. Latour (or Latour and Brown's) on Broadway
- Madden's Livery
- Ryan's Livery at 39 Main Street
Adirondack Daily Enterprise, November 3, 1954, "Our Town"