You know the story: you finally get up the nerve to ask that special person out. Elegant words are lost on you, but you manage to stammer out some kind of invitation... but now what? Sometimes, asking isn't the hardest part of date planning. Here are some good Davis-specific date ideas.
Summer / Warm weather
- Get some ice cream and stroll through the Arboretum. Go to the back of the Davis Commons parking lot and you will see the bike path descend into the arboretum.
- Perambulate The Green Belt
- Try to catch a squirrel by the bike tunnel behind Davis Commons.
- Suntan on the shores of the Rec Pool.
- Go to the driving range (there are two public ones): Davis Golf Course and Wildhorse Golf Club.
- Ride bikes / drive to Stevenson Bridge (Russell W. 2mi to Rd.95A, turn left, 1mi)
- Bike to the Putah Creek Reserve (March/April) picnic/smooching. 1mi S. on Old Davis. Rd.
- Go jogging; there are nice trails west of campus.
- Play Disc Golf.
- Try to fly a kite.
- Grab a seat on one of the double-decker buses and ride around Davis watching the sunset. (Best when the bus is practically empty)
- Stroll through the Arboretum.
- Bike through the Covell Greenbelt maze and/or the North Davis Fitness Trail, end up near Anderson Road where you have a lovely picnic prepared at the cute gazebo, tablecloth, food and all, and surprise your significant other with an impromptu picnic date. Bonus points if you do this while the sun is setting. The view west is beautiful.
- Do the Davis Bike Loop!
- Watch the Sunset!
Winter / Cold weather
- Navigate the annual Woodland Corn Maze (aka maize maze) in Woodland.
- Get coffee at one of the many Davis cafés downtown and walk through the Arboretum.
- Sneak out to Winters (15mi W.) for breakfast at the Putah Creek Cafe.
- Go Ice skating
- Jump into a hot tub
Last Minute Valentine's Day Ideas
- Pick up a bouquet of arranged flowers from Safeway.
- Buy her or him a gift certificate for a massage at Davis Massage Center.
- Ladies, for ideas how to show who much you appreciate your significant other, check out Aggie columnist Michael Giardina's Valentine's Day column.
- Catch a show at the Mondavi Center.
- Catch a movie at the commercial theatres in Davis: Signature Stadium 5 and Holiday Cinema 6
- See what's on at the Varsity Theatre.
- Go to Campus Cinema or Robotmedia or Alternative Film Club.
- Drive over to Sacramento and into one of the last remaining Drive-In Theaters.
- Bowling or playing pool in the MU Games Area is a good idea especially if you are on Campus.
- Attend the Second Friday ArtAbout (occurs the 2nd Friday of every month)
- Go to Rocknasium.
- Walk through the Farmers Market and pick out fresh food to cook (or microwave it, if you're cookingly-challenged). Or check out the Farmers Market on a Wednesday night and catch some live music.
- Go to rummage sales and see who finds the most random object. You can find a list of rummage sales in The Davis Enterprise.
- Set up a formal dining situation (think white tablecloth, linen napkins, bubbly cider and wine glasses) somewhere where it's out of place... Like In-N-Out.
- Spend your hard-earned cash at Upscale Restaurants... or just stop somewhere and split a dessert.
- Skate in the rain, in the cold, in the heat... anywhere, anytime. Try the Death Star at night.
- Great cheap date: on a Tuesday night, eat a $2 bowl of Tortilla Soup at El Mariachi, have a $1 scoop of ice cream and then go to a $5 movie.
- If you both like to read/look at funky magazines, go to Newsbeat downtown. See who can find the most random picture.
- Go geocaching
- Walk through a pet store and watch and discuss the furry, scaly and wet critters. Or buy a collar and leash if you're into that kind of thing.
- Go camping
- Share a Super Giant Burrito at Taqueria Guadalajara.
- Sneak onto an Amtrak train. Make love in the rest room while they collect tickets and then sit in the dining car and see how far you can go until they kick you off for not paying.
- Go play racquetball/basketball/anykind of game at the ARC.
- If spiritually inclined, go to church or meditate.
- Take a yoga class together.
See Makeout Spots