I graduated from Davis and no longer live nearby to try out all the restaurants. Everything below is from my time in Davis, Sept 2003 - August 2007. Appreciate the DavisWiki; I wish more cities would have their own with an active community.
I love to promote diversity and native languages so please feel free to change the names of the restaurants here on my page!
Restaurants I have eaten at... (My rating out of 5)
- علي بابا Ali Baba - (4) Delicious gyros but fries are < Sam's but I'll return
- Burger King - (3) No bad stories, just like any other fast food place
- Caffe Italia - (5) Great service, great food, good price, CRAYONS
- Cafe Casablanca - (3) WOW EXPENSIVE! The setting was completely cute with the movie going for people who wait to be seated. The service was excellent. The food was decent but definitely not worth the price. I ended up paying $20 for an entree, drink, tax and tip. If they bring down their prices, then I'll return.
- Cafe Roma - (4) Very good coffee, nice service, kinda shabby looking, will return again when there's music and it's more busy
- Carl's Jr. - (2) Pricy but on campus location is convenient
- Cenario's Pizza - (3) Decent pizza, I'd eat it again
- Chuy's Taqueria - (4) Now I don't have to drive hella far =) Love the tacos, the horchata was room temperature tho =(
- Cindy's - (2) Only thing good is the service and the malts
- Ciocolat - (3) Extremely delicious but very pricey!
- Coffee House - (3) Average, customer service could be better
- Cold Stone Creamery - (4) Friendly customer service and tasty ice cream. Expensive tho
- La ville des crêpes - (5) Tuna Melt Sandwich mmm Crepes mmm A tab bit pricy but the food is worth it
- Davis Noodle City - (4) Very friendly and best dumplings ever!
- Dos Coyotes - (1) Expensive and ewww
- El Mariachi - (5) mmm Burrito… and I love the salsa selection!
- 富士のシェフ Fuji Chef- (4) Good lunch buffet but wait was forever
- Fuzio - (3) Food was decent but not stellar. Price is ok.
- Fluffy Donuts - (4) mmm Donut holes mmm
- Hibachi - (3) Very much like Teriyaki Express but you get less food. But better seating
- Hoa Viet - (3) OK food, quick serve, cheap price
- Hotdogger - (4) Delicious, quick service, skinny hot dog but tasty
- House of Chang - (5) Excellent Honey Walnut Prawns, good food, fast delivery
- Hunan - (0) I got the shits
- Huong Lan Sandwiches - (4) Delicious, tough bread, cute cashier =D Definately will return
- Internationales Haus der Pfannkuchen - (2) Same generic food but always quick service and decent variety
- In-N-Out - (4) Grilled Cheese everytime, Root Beer Floats, Fries with no salt
- Jack in the Box - (3) Why did they change the pita? =( and the one downtown creeps me out
- Jade Garden - (4) Huge portions for the price, good food, will return
- Muta Fart Mnywo Jamba Juice - (3) Gift card + friend working there = cheap and worth it
- Kabul Afghan Cuisine - (4) The service was excellent; I've never eaten Afghan food before so the server helped me. The food was delicious and very happy with the choice. Not a 5 because there is a belly dancer and I know that belly dancing is not Afghan; I've heard they brought one in to attract more customers.
- KFC - (4) I love the sides… Chicken and Corn Tuesdays for $2.99
- La Esperanza - (4) The chips were fresh, quick service, food came out quickly and was good, horchata excellent
- Lamppost PIzza - (2) Overpriced and greasy. Won't eat here again unless it's free
- London Fish'n Chips - (4) Excellent service, delicious calamari, will return
- Manna Korean Restaurant - (3) Had the BBQ Beef and didn't think anything special. But I love the potstickers. I'll return for those!
- Marble Slab Creamery - (3) Good tasting but not as good as Cold Stone, just a tad cheaper
- McDonald's - (1) 2 apple pies for $1 is the only thing I'll eat
- Mocha Joe - (5) The couple running the place is extremely kind, good coffee and it's cheap!
- Mountain Mike's Pizza - (3) Average, Decent price with coupon
- Mr. Chan's - (0) I got the shits
- New Delhi Chaat Cafe - (5) Excellent food, good service and good prices
- Nobu Hiro - (5) Excellent, quick service at the bar, get there at 11
- Norm's Pizza - (4) DELICIOUS Philly Cheesecake, cooked when I ordered it. Alas they closed =(
- 老茶馆 Old Teahouse - (4) Love the boba, shredded Chicken fried rice, cripsy chicken, no room to sit, wait is sometimes forever, check your change
- Osaka Sushi - (4) Pricy but you get quality and quantity for it; good service
- Padre John's - (5) Delivery is awesome, gotta love the cheese sticks
- Papa Murphy's - (5) Awesome pizza for a much cheaper price. And cooking it at home is worth the wait and money I saved.
- Κοίλωμα Pita Pita Pit- (3) Pricy but the late hours are wonderful
- Pizza Guys - (3) Good price, was stingy with the meat on my pizza and had to wait for the wings to cook (they said my order would be ready in 20 minutes and when I got there 30 minutes later, my wings were not even in the oven)
- Pluto's - (5) Won me over several times. Love those garlic fries
- Redrum Burger - (3) Expensive but good food
- Quiznos - (3) Too pricy but decent sandwiches
- Sam's Mediterranean Cuisine - (4) Decent price for good food, loved the fries / (1) I went a second time and was sick for 3 days afterwards. =( I don't know what happened!
- 上海镇 Shanghai Town - (4) Prices may seem expensive but you receive LOTS of food. One ordered has turned into two meals.
- Sophia's Thai Kitchen - (4) Cute little place, good food, too many spicy food though
- Starbucks - (2) Maybe I've just had too much
- Steve's Place Pizza - (5) Garlic Chicken and sun dried tomatoes. A bit expensive but I think it's worth it
- Caffè Dell'Italiano Delle Stringhe Strings Italian Cafe - (3) Soltanto degno esso durante i buffet di mercoledì (Translation: Only worth it during Wednesdays buffets)
- Sugar and Spice - (3) Very friendly, tastes good, limited selection, incredibly expensive. I'll return when I'm too lazy to cook my own Pilipino food.
- Symposium - (4) (?) Enjoyed the pizza and loved the crust. Haven't tried the restaurant yet.
- Taqueria Davis - (5) Hands down the best burritos in Davis. Love the salsa and the horchata. Very friendly.
- Taqueria Guadalajara - (4) Would have a perfect 5 if they had not messed up my order =(
- 明白な Teriyaki Teriyaki Express- (5) 私は2 つの食事に teriyaki の1 つの版を回す。 veggies を愛しなさい (Translation: I turn one plate of teriyaki into two meals. Love the veggies)
- 2K Thai Food - (5) Inexpensive, clean, friendly, excellent food, wonderful service
- Thai Bistro - (4) Best customer service of all the Thai restaurants but not my fav
- Thai Recipes - (3) Decent food but was priced too high; get better tasting food for cheaper elsewhere
- Village Bakery - (4) Delicious surprise
- Wendy's - (4) Pricy but open late
- Wok n' Roll - (4) Cheap, good, tasty
- La pizza del Woodstock - (1) che cosa è così grande circa questo posto? (Translation: What's so great about this place?)
- Zen Toro - (5) My highest rating. You get quality and quantity for the price. This is my favorite Japanese restaurant in town. Only down side: there is no ice in the water.
Outside of Davis
- Chuy's Taqueria in Winters - (4) Worth driving out there and loved the tacos
- California Pizza Kitchen in Sacramento - (5) I've never ordered anything bad, everything is delicious!
- The Cheesecake Factory in Sacramento - (3) Everything on the menu is fried, need more variety
- Hooters in Sacramento - (4) Good Philly Cheesesteak. Ok chicken wings, I ordered medium and they were not spicy at all. Next time I'm getting 3 Mile Island or 911
- Hot Dog on a Stick in Sacramento - (3) Good everything but way too expensive $7 for 1 hot dog on a stick, fries and a drink
- Manila Restaurant in Elk Grove - (3) 8 pages Chinese and 2 pages Filipino (as in the language); Need more Filipino and Pilipino food (Because they serve Americanize food (Filipino) and not the traditional Pilipino food), pricy for small quantity
- Tahoe Joe in Vacaville - (5) Excellent. Delicious food for a good price and excellent service. I love their wood steaks and root beer.
- BJ's Restaurant and Brewery in Vacaville - (4) You get the quality for a good price. I was just sad that they didn't have any root beer. And the pizookie is scrumptous.
- Nation's in Vacaville - (5) Nation's has never let me down. I grew up with Nation's and I love coming here. They cook your food when you order it, the portions are huge, and the pies are the best.
- Zachary's Pizza in Berkeley - (3) OK but definately not worth driving down to have some. Sucks they don't take credit card. But for the quality, the price is fine. Does not compare at all to Chicago.
We both feel very strongly on this issue. My edits to your page were over the top, intended to make a point, but they went way too far after the point was made. My sincere apologies. — JabberWokky
I like how you have some of the restaurant names listed in their native characters on this page along with the English words. The restaurants page should be donethis way as well. Unfortunately, I tried to use Chinese characters (中文), but the wiki headline macro won't display them correctly; it just shows the escape sequences (& #20013; & #25991;). — CM this should work now.
I like the native language efforts, too. We're too isolated in the U.S. —GrahamFreeman
Too bad no local restaurants serve Roman food... oh well, scratch another thing off the list of Things Latin Speakers Can't Translate. —CindySperry
According to their website, Jamba Juice's name derives from the "African word 'jama,' meaning to celebrate." That's nice of them to be multi-cultural and stuff, but last time I checked "African" wasn't a language. I did a bit of digging and they say elsewhere it's swahili. Jama typed into a swahili dictionary translates to "family or companions," so I can't corroborate their story. Interestingly, "Jamba" translates to "fart." I'm certain it's syntacticly wrong, but above I've haphazardly (mis)translated Jamba Juice to "muta fart mnywo", where Jamba is fart, and juice is muta mnywo (sweet drink). CraigBrozinsky
2006-05-17 01:04:15 Hi JoAnna, I love this page! I have eaten at every restaurant in Davis, but never really had the energy to build a page about it. —ChrisLambertus
2006-07-01 18:42:21 They didn't have root beer or they were out of it? BJ's brew their own root beer - it's delicious. Maybe they were just out of the batch? And I know it's also on the desert menu as a float. —ES
- They were out of the root beer =( Well I did end up going like an hour before they closed. — [JR]
2006-09-17 16:09:01 I'm glad to see so many Horchata recommendations. My plan for the next few years: find the best horchata in Davis. —MoTorres
2006-10-07 10:22:59 The problem is that he was messing around with his bio page, which isn't his. His personal page is his baby. His bio page (as a public figure) belongs to the community. —WilliamLewis
2007-01-26 13:25:23 I love this page =) Oh and if you go the other way (opposite Vacaville) you get to Folsom, which also has a BJ's —TusharRawat
2007-02-22 10:42:03 i love this page. It inspired me to create my own a while back. I wish everyone would do something similar. Its fun to see how people rank different restaurants. I especially litke the native characters —MattHh
2007-03-02 00:03:16 Hey Joanna come and visit my restaurant in Woodland. We serve Japanese and Hawaiian Food. Our address is 10 N East St. Email me at email@example.com and I will send you a menu. —RobertTaura
2007-03-02 09:44:04 Hey, JoAnna, you're very good at being sensitive to pigeonholing by race. I'm trying to avoid that in Ethnic and Cultural Organizations. Do you have any thoughts on how not to lay it out so divisively but at the same time indexed for people looking for a particular group? —JabberWokky
2007-03-02 11:35:26 Thanks for the comment JoAnna. Certainly if a page exists, it shouldn't be deleted without some sort of discussion about its importance, as long as it is not blatant spam of course. I was mainy trying to curb the continuous deleting and reviving of some pages that was going on. Most of those thoughts could have been hashed out in a talk page before action was taken. My comments weren't directed at you specifically, just the situation in general. Thanks. —DavidGrundler
2007-03-02 12:06:31 I am going to be away for the weekend so I don't have much time to do edits, but if possible can u find some ASA and NAS people intersted in the wiki to add to the South Asian and Native American pages? —EricWu
2007-03-02 12:33:24 I feel almost like the edit confirmation: Thank you for your attention to detail:) —EricWu
2007-03-02 12:46:44 JoAnna, you don't need to be so paranoid about people deleting the Mixed Race entry. It's okay, we're all in this together. It actually hurts me that you'd think *anyone* would be "against" you in this. We're all working together to try and add more information. Content was moved around, but nothing you ever wrote was ever deleted. It's put me in an odd mood that you'd think I (or anyone here on the wiki) would even consider silencing your voice. This morning was about balancing and figuring out where to locate types of information, not silencing people or groups. Fantastic entry, by the way. You might want to even split out Mixed Race Issues at UC Davis in terms of scholorships and demographics... that's why I moved some of your earlier content to the Demographics entry, because it illustrates how poorly they cover some people. I'd still like your feedback on how best to organize Ethnic and Cultural Organizations so they don't exclude or minimize multicultural groups and organizations while still having a structure allowing people to look up various groups. —JabberWokky
2007-03-02 14:47:51 You're right... I started jumping around and moving stuff around without explaining first and giving you a chance to agree or disagree with the edits. Please give Ethnic and Cultural Organizations/Talk a read to see what I was trying to do. —JabberWokky
2007-04-20 09:22:12 the pilipino/filipino debate is opening up again on the restaurants page. do you remember where the original discussion of the issue came up, so we can link there and avoid future revert wars? —CraigBrozinsky
2007-05-08 18:29:41 2007-05-08 11:28:39 Just ask them at la crepe to cook it on the third griddle or second griddle a bit longer and they will for sure. —StevenDaubert P.S. have you been by Icekrimski cafe ? Try the gelato and tell me how it stacks up to cold stone!
2007-05-24 23:13:18 aggie barber shop alreayd exists, pretty sure —StevenDaubert
2007-05-25 02:00:00 The aggie barber shop ? —StevenDaubert PS The aggie barbershop == aggie barbershop <-- there is the difference, I don't go around deleting pages without a reason, perhaps you should look closer at recent changes edit comments, and your question would have answered itself =D ... P.P.S you still need to go to the educated eatery
- JoAnna is right — I thought it already existed too, so I did a search and it didn't come up. I would have made the same duplication error. It's because the search has been acting up for a couple weeks. I know Philip has been working on fixing it, but it looks like there are still problems left. —JabberWokky
- I do not think this was a bug. I searched for "barber shop" and found the result immediately. I'm guessing you searched for the single word "barbershop."
- I searched for "the aggie barber shop" and found it instantly, I know this cause I had to link it to carrier's carpet & floor care a couple days ago because he is one who cleans the store and I was the one setting up the wiki page for it, and this was of course before the redirect, but the redirect is fine. —StevenDaubert
- Ah, yes... not a bug in search. A bug in the user. I did do a search for "Aggie Barbershop". Regardless, it comes up under both now. Not a biggie. —jw
2007-07-04 13:26:34 I've seen a few changes you made, like in fluffy donuts. It seems that you rephrased things that were very well written but could possibly be misconstrued by sensitive people that are offended by raindrops and replaced it with colorless descriptive narration. I think their is a vast canyon of difference between stylistic differences and the factually erroneous - with only one needing modification. And please don't pass wikipedia guidelines as some sort of rebuke - because they are to writing as the DMV is to driving. —ChristopherMckenzie
2008-10-19 09:00:07 you should give the putah creek cafe a shot next time your headed outside of Davis Westbound... —StevenDaubert
2008-10-26 22:14:41 It probably would have been impossible to try every restaurant anyway, since the latest ones have seemed to to appeared and disappeared within a matter of months. —ElleWeber